7 Chakra Colors - Meanings, Symbols and Locations
Discover the meanings of chakras and their energy functions and learn practical ways of chakra balancing and healing.
Learn which chakra colors, stones and gemstones, healing tools, yoga poses, and mudras can help you release your blockages and grow stronger physically and spiritually.
- What are the 7 chakra colors?
- Chakra colors in order from root to crown
- Introduction to seven chakras
- 7 Chakras – colors and meanings
- Test your chakra colors
- Color therapy and chakra colors
- Where do chakra colors come from?
- Why Chakras Have Colors?
- Chakras and colors of your aura
- Share with friends
What are The 7 Chakra Colors AND WHAT ARE THEIR MEANINGS?
Chakra colors represent frequencies or vibrations of the seven main chakras in the human body. These vibrations can be observed as colors in your auric field. The colors of chakras correlate to the rainbow color spectrum of light.
Each color is connected to a specific chakra and has its own meanings and properties.
The seven chakra colors, their meanings and functions are:
- RED – Root Chakra – Muladhara
Red color is connected with strength and physical energy, stability, and power. The main function of red chakra is to connect you to your roots, to ground you and offer a firm foundation to all other energy centers in your body.
- ORANGE – Sacral Chakra – Svadhisthana
Orange color is the color of sensuality, creativity, passion and sexuality. It is warm and stimulative. In connection with the sacral chakra it helps you develop your creativity and to allow yourself to enjoy in sensual pleasures in life.
- YELLOW – Solar Plexus Chakra – Manipura
Yellow is the color of pure energy, clarity, joy and optimism. It is related to the power of the sun and fire. In connection to solar plexus chakra it allows you to gain strong willpower and inner strength to pursue your life goals.
- GREEN – Heart Chakra – Anahata
Green is the color of nature, equilibrium, life, and growth. It flows from nature and universe through your heart chakra and its energy has healing properties. With power of unconditional love it helps you heal on emotional and physical level.
- BLUE – Throat Chakra – Vishuddha
Blue is the color of the sky, sea and air. It symbolizes truth, intelligence, and freedom. In relation to the throat chakra it helps you to express your thoughts and emotions verbally in order to bring your inner desires to material manifestation.
- INDIGO – Third Eye Chakra – Ajna
Indigo color symbolizes inner depth, intuition, wisdom and devotion. The energetical quality which indigo color brings through the third eye chakra will help you develop your intuition, perception, and gain trust into your insights.
- VIOLET, WHITE – Crown Chakra – Sahasrara
Violet color is the color of dreams and imagination and white is the color of purity, innocence and illumination. These colors help you connect your inner-self to its source, and get support from higher spiritual realms.
Chakra Colors in Order From Root to Crown
Chakra colors ordered from first (root) to seventh (crown) are the following:
- The red chakra sits at the bottom of the chakra system at the base of the spine.
- The orange chakra is located above the spleen, just a bit above the sexual organs.
- The yellow chakra is located in the stomach area.
- The green chakra sits in the middle of the chest.
- The blue chakra is located at the bottom of the throat and neck .
- The indigo chakra location is in the brow area, between the eyes.
- The violet chakra position is at the top of the head.
Introduction to the Seven Chakras
Regardless of your age or gender, spiritual orientation or beliefs, you can learn how to manipulate your chakra energy and use it to your advantage.
However, to bring your energy centers in alignment some work is required. First of all you need to know what you are doing, and secondly you need to be aware that chakra balancing is a process that will take some discipline and time.
Nevertheless, the benefits of having your chakras fully open are extremely rewarding and can positively impact your life on all levels – physical, mental, emotional and spiritual.
Are you ready to manifest the life you deserve? Learn more about what is chakra and its function or read more about each specific chakra below …
7 Chakras - Colors and Meanings
Each chakra has its own color, meanings and functions. Also, each chakra affects different parts of the physical body and our emotional and mental states. There are different symbols and even deeper meanings connected to each of the 7 main energy centers.
1. Root Chakra
2. Sacral Chakra
3. Solar Plexus Chakra
4. Heart Chakra
5. Throat Chakra
6. Third Eye Chakra
7. Crown Chakra
The chakra symbols tell a deeper story about chakras. These are not just pretty pictures or symbols.
These pictographs actually contain information about chakra deities, mantras, and even vibrational frequencies.
Learn how to understand chakra symbols and their meanings – what they symbolize and how to interpret the hidden meanings of geometrical symbols.
Chakra stones are crystals and gemstones which are used for chakra balancing and healing.
Each stone has its unique properties and specific energy and vibration which can be used to open a specific chakra.
Enter the Chakra Stones and Crystals Portal and learn how you can use the chakra stones to improve your health, wealth and overall well-being.
What are my Chakra Colors?
You can test your own chakra colors by answering yourself a few simple questions which are listed below.
To fully benefit from the healing power of color you need to develop your personal color awareness.
A life of a healthy individual is filled with a balanced array of colors. You have to be in tune with your personal rainbow assortment to develop color consciousness and explore the healing potential of colors.
Find out which colors are lacking in your life and which are over saturated. Take the test to learn about the colors of your life.
CHAKRA COLORS TEST:
- What color clothes are you currently wearing?
- What is the predominant color in your wardrobe?
- Which color would you like to wear more of but for some reason don’t?
- How often do you feel like you have nothing to wear?
- What is your favorite color?
- What is your least favorite color?
- What is the dominant color in your apartment?
- Do you often feel the need to redecorate?
- Which color are you usually drawn to when you decorate your home?
- Which color is present most in your working environment?
- Which color is your bedroom?
- Which is the color you avoid most?
Keep a diary of colors to gain insight into the effects of color on your physical and mental well-being, emotional state, activities, and relationships. Take notes on the colors and color combinations you wear and encounter in your surroundings and pay attention on the way they make you feel.
Color Therapy and LIST OF HEALTH ISSUES RELATED TO 7 CHAKRA COLORS
The use of colors for healing and therapeutic purposes is not new. It is something that was practiced in the past and continues to be relevant to this day. Our ancestors perceived light as a source of life and the driving force of life’s processes. In fact, light equaled health of the body, mind, and spirit.
Healing with colors was rediscovered in the beginning of 20th century and color therapy was approached from a scientific standpoint. Since then there have been many advances, such as for instance photo-dynamic therapy, which is a used in cancer treatment.
The light we see is a composite of colors – the 7 chakra colors: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, and violet and white. These colors had an important role in ancient cultures, especially in healing practices.
Let us take a look at some of the most important colors and their effects on our physical health and psyche.
1. Red Color
Related to Root Chakra
Red is the color of your root energy. It helps you connect to the earth and ground yourself. By increasing the flow of the red energy, you will feel more strong, secure, and stable, both physically and on the emotional and mental level.
- feel drained, tired and weakened,
- feel numbness in your legs,
- suffer from sciatica,
- experience back pain,
- are anemic,
- are infertile,
- are impotent,
- feel lonely, unsupported, and insecure.
Bring more RED into your life by:
- visualizing red,
- meditating in red surrounded by red gemstones and crystals,
- wearing red clothes and accessories,
- decorating your surroundings with red items,
- eating red meat, red colored vegetables and spices such as chili, cayenne pepper, cumin, and cloves.
2. Orange Color
Related to Sacral Chakra
Orange color will stimulate your creativity and joy for life. It increases your inner awareness and helps you recognize your deepest desires. By surrounding yourself with the orange color you will find yourself becoming more in touch with yourself and you will start manifesting your creative expression.
- lack energy,
- feel sleepy and bored,
- want to increase your vitality,
- want to improve your sexual performance,
- feel resigned and beaten,
- feel suppressed,
- feel defeated by everyday tasks,
- want to feel happier,
- want to have a better appetite,
- suffer from rheumatism,
- lack sexual interest or can’t orgasm,
- have menstrual issues.
Introduce more ORANGE into your life by:
- visualizing orange,
- meditating in orange, surrounded by orange colored gemstones and crystals,
- wearing orange clothes and accessories,
- surrounding yourself with orange colored items,
- introducing orange colored accessories into your home,
- eating orange colored fruit, vegetables, and spices and herbs such as cinnamon, cloves, ginger, ginseng, and marigold.
3. Yellow Color
Related to Solar Plexus Chakra
Yellow collow will bring you power, focus and inner strength. By establishing a stronger connection with the yellow color you will gain more energy in your everyday life. You will become more vigorous and decisive in pursuing your life goals.
- are emotionally drained,
- feel numb and bored,
- are indecisive,
- have memory issues,
- have trouble concentrating,
- are preparing for important tests,
- have to be impartial,
- are anxious and frightened,
- feel powerless and subordinated,
- want to be more optimistic and self-confident,
- have slow metabolism.
Try to bring more YELLOW into your life by:
- visualizing yellow,
- meditating in yellow, surrounded by yellow colored gemstones and crystals,
- wearing yellow clothes and accessories,
- surrounding yourself with yellow items,
- picking out yellow decorations and accents for your home,
- eating yellow colored fruit and vegetables, and spices and herbs such as turmeric, mustard, nutmeg, and saffron.
By focusing more on the green color you will become more relaxed. The stress and tension will dissipate as you will gain more trust in yourself. You will feel supported and loved by the universe. Things will start flowing in the right direction with ease, as you will follow your heart.
4. Green Color
Related to Heart Chakra
- feel the need to calm down,
- worry too much,
- hold grudges or feel vengeful,
- have issues in your relationships with others,
- cannot empathize enough or have problems relating to the people around you,
- suffer from high blood pressure,
- have a weakened immune system,
- have heart problems,
- experience issues with blood circulation,
- have trouble breathing (asthma, bronchitis),
- suffer from rheumatism or arthritis,
- have allergies, skin problems, or a chronic disease.
Introduce more GREEN into your life by:
- visualizing green,
- meditating in green, surrounded by green gemstones and crystals,
- wearing green clothes and accessories,
- making your surroundings greener by choosing green accessories and accents for your home and office,
- exploring nature and go for walks, take up gardening, and introduce more plants into your home,
- introducing more copper into your life (e.g. copper kitchenware)
- eating green colored fruit and vegetables, drink matcha tea, and using spices and herbs such as basil, bay leaves, oregano, thyme etc.
5. Blue Color
Related to Throat Chakra
Surrounding yourself in blue, wearing blue clothes, gazing at the sky, and swimming in the sea, will strengthen your connection with the blue color. Blue color opens up your throat chakra and supports your process in expressing yourself socially and verbally.
- feel the need to focus and calm your nerves,
- want to relax more,
- crave some physical, mental, or emotional distance,
- have a temperature,
- suffer from insomnia,
- have cuts, wounds, or burns,
- have issues with your throat, nose, or ears,
- feel the need to be heard,
- find yourself in embarrassing situations,
- experience tension headaches or migraines.
You should bring more BLUE into your life by:
- visualizing blue,
- meditating in blue surrounded with blue colored gemstones and crystals,
- wearing blue clothes and accessories,
- decorating your apartment with blue items and accents,
- eating more fish, blue colored fruit, asparagus, and spices and herbs such as flax seeds, chicory, and borage.
6. Indigo Color
Related to Third Eye Chakra
Meditating on indigo color can take you deep inside yourself. This color strengthens your connection to your intuition and inner awareness. You will be able to recognize the truth and see through the hidden meanings of things. The doors to spiritual dimensions will open up.
- feel the need to calm your nerves,
- are upset or shocked,
- have trouble sleeping,
- feel uneasy,
- have to be focused and contemplative,
- lack imagination,
- feel that you should work on your intuition,
- suffer from migraines.
Try to bring more indigo into your life by:
- visualizing indigo,
- meditating in indigo and surround yourself with indigo colored gemstones and crystals,
- wearing indigo clothes and indigo accessories,
- introducing more indigo accessories and accents into your home and office space,
- eating more indigo colored vegetables and fruit and using spices and herbs such as poppy seeds, juniper berries, and chokeberries.
7. Violet & White Color
Related to Crown Chakra
Violet and white colors will stimulate your crown chakra. You will feel light and clear and supported by the universal love. While red connects you to the ground, violet and white energy connects you to the universe and helps you to recognize yourself as a spiritual being.
- need inspiration,
- lack imagination,
- crave clarity and purpose,
- want to improve your meditative technique,
- want to grow spiritually,
- do not believe in yourself enough,
- have lost faith,
- struggle with the meaning of life,
- feel depressed,
- suffer from paralysis or multiple sclerosis.
You must bring more VIOLET into your life by:
- visualizing violet,
- meditating in violet, surrounded by violet gemstones and crystals,
- wearing violet clothes and accessories,
- decorating your apartment and office with violet accessories and accents,
- going on mountain hikes,
- eating violet colored fruit and vegetables and herbs such as lavender, violet.
Where do Chakra Colors Come From?
Christopher Hills with Indian Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru at Teen Murti Bhavan, New Delhi
The concept of chakra colors was first presented in the 1970’s by an English writer and philosopher Christopher Hills.
He was a versatile scholar and practitioner of esoteric traditions who has linked the theory of chakras with the light frequencies and vibration.
His ideas were vastly accepted and nowadays the understanding of chakras is intimately linked with colors and frequencies, not only within western energy healing practices, but also in eastern traditions.
The theory of chakra colors is based on connection of chakras with the colors of the light spectrum (rainbow) and vibrational frequencies of specific colors.
Everything in nature has its universal logic, and in particular, on the level of energy and vibration, there are always co-relations. For example, these relations exist between frequencies, colors, sounds, and when speaking about perception also levels of consciousness.
Why CHAKRAS HAVE COLORS?
Chakras have colors because they vibrate with different frequencies. Each chakra has its own density and pulse which can be perceived as color, sound, or even a feeling.
Chakra colors and their order correlate with seven colors which compose the sunlight. These colors are: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, and violet.
You can observe these seven colors when you project the light through the glass prism. A prism breaks the white light into different colors, because each of these colors has a different wavelength.
Red color has the longest waves, which means it has the lowest vibration or frequency.
Violet color has the shortest waves, which means it has the highest vibration or frequency.
The same principle can be observed with chakras, where the root chakra (red) vibrates with the lowest frequency, and the crown chakra (violet) vibrates with the highest frequency.
Chakra colors and other related aspects are a part of chakra science which helps us understand chakras, their meanings, and properties.
Chakras and Colors of Your Aura
Most of you would have heard about aura, our astral or etheric body – the three-dimensional glow that surrounds our bodies.
Aura is often understood as energy which is projected from our chakras. Aura reveals the physical, mental, and spiritual state of our being.
Can You See Chakra Colors?
You can see your chakra colors in your auric field.
In normal circumstances, an aura is invisible, seen only by exceptionally sensitive or clairvoyant people. However, anyone can learn how to see aura by following a few simple exercises.
When your chakras are balanced, they are channeling the energy which is sourced from the universal energy field and distributing it throughout your body. Your aura colors are bright, and the structure of your aura is consistent and without ‘energy holes.’
If your chakras are out of balance and not functioning properly, they remain partially or completely closed to energy and therefore cannot receive or distribute it.
These problems manifest as dark blemishes on your aura. Problems in energy distribution result in the physical, emotional and mental disorders and can lead to serious health issues.
Most holistic healing practices share the notion that all diseases stem from a disturbed balance of force in our spiritual body. They show at first as mental conflicts or emotional issues and, if unaddressed, proceed to manifest as physical illnesses as well.
If you react to negative experiences by blocking your emotions, the flow of energy that runs through your chakras will be disturbed, and imbalances will occur.
Frequently Asked Questions about Chakras
According to the Vedic scriptures originating from Hinduism and also based on Buddhist tradition the chakras are energy centers which exist in an energy body of a person. As such, the chakras are not physical, but exist in more subtle energy fields. Besides the traditional teachings also many modern healing and self-improvement techniques are based on philosophy of chakras. The practitioners of such methods will tell you that chakras are real and that the effects and benefits of opening your chakras can be definitely felt.
The name ‘Chakra’ itself comes from Sanskrit language and the understanding of chakras in the western world originates from Hindu and Buddhist traditions. However other traditions have very similar concepts and understanding – some of which are Chinese Taoism, Tibetan Buddhism and Japanese Buddhism.
When we talk about chakra systems, we usually speak of 7 chakras or 12 chakras as the number of main energy nodes in our body. However there are many smaller chakras, most prominent being positioned in our hands and feet, and even smaller ones all over our body, lying along the pathways of the body energy channels.
The 7 chakra colors – as defined and accepted by western esoteric practices – are the following:
- Root Chakra – Red Color
- Sacral Chakra – Orange Color
- Solar Plexus Chakra – Yellow Color
- Heart Chakra – Green Color
- Throat Chakra – Blue Color
- Third Eye Chakra – Indigo Color
- Crown Chakra – Violet Color
Aura colors are closely tied to functioning of the chakras. The colors of chakras are reflected in a human aura – an energy field which is projected through the chakras. If our chakras are open and balanced, our aura will be radiant and well-balanced.
- Generally vivid colors of the aura with no ‘holes’ in it mean that a person is healthy and vital.
- Dark colored aura with ‘holes’ and blemishes mean that the person is most likely ill and has a low energy vibration.
Chakras can become blocked for many reasons, some of the most prominent being:
- Emotional trauma
- Not enough physical exercise
- Not enough connection with nature
- Unhealthy diet
- Unhealthy habits and addictions
The most common methods for opening your chakras are the following:
- Chakra Meditation
- Practice of Yoga
- Breathing Exercises
- Crystal Healing (Healing with Chakra Stones)
- Sound Healing (Chakra Frequencies)
- Practice of Mudras (Hand Gestures)
- Mantra Meditation
- Chakra Diet
- Color Therapy
Other practices, especially the ones involving exercise, meditation and connection with nature are just as well beneficial for opening your energy channels and balancing your chakras.
Chakra cleansing is a process of using different techniqes for opening, balancing and healing your chakras. When performing chakra cleansing we focus on de-blocking the chakras and releasing the heavy and stale energies.
Chakra cleansing stimulates the flow of the vital energy known as “prana” or “chi” throughout the main seven chakras and through the complete chakra system. This results in improving and energetic field and reflects in overall well-being of a person.
Kundalini energy is also known as Prana, Chi or Ki . This is a universal vibrating energy which is also an integral part of all living beings and organisms.
When named ‘Kundalini’ we usually speak of the Chi energy in human body which flows through the Ida, Pingala and Sushumna energy channels. These lines co-relate with the seven major chakras and are the most prominent energy channels in the human body.
Kundalini awakening is known as and event of the energy rising from the Root chakra to the Crown chakra through the central energy channel called the Sushumna.
Chakra stones, healing crystals and gemstones are used for aligning, healing and balancing your chakras.
Each stone has its unique properties which make them appropriate for balancing one or more specific chakras. Some stones can be used on all chakras.
Chakra stones are used in a way that they are placed on the locations of the chakras during meditation. You can also wear them as pendants or other type of jewelry, use them in your home and you can even diet them by drinking crystal charged water.
Some stones are related to specific chakras and some can be used on more or all chakras. Here’s the lost of the most common gemstones used for specific chakras:
- Root Chakra Stones: ruby, red jasper, granite, hematite, red coral, red tiger eye, smoky quartz, onyx, garnet
- Sacral Chakra Stones: tiger eye, golden topaz, orange tourmaline, yellow jade, hyacinth, fire opal, corals, orange aventurine, sunstone
- Solar Plexus Chakra Stones: tiger eye, citrine, yellow jasper, yellow calcite, amber, yellow serpentine, chrysoberyl
- Heart Chakra Stones: emerald, chrysoprase, green tourmaline, rose quartz, jade, peridot, malachite, green quartz, green spinel
- Throat Chakra Stones: aquamarine, blue topaz, chalcedony, blue tourmaline, turquoise, lapis lazuli
- Third Eye Chakra Stones: blue sapphire, opal, blue tourmaline, lapis lazuli, sodalite, blue agate, blue azurite, blue dumortierite quartz, blue iolite, blue tanzanite
- Crown Chakra Stones: diamond, amethyst, quartz, rainbow obsidian, spinel, transparent tourmaline, azurite
A seed mantra is the main mantra of a specific chakra. In Vedic tradition the seed mantra is called ‘Bija mantra’.
Mantra is a word which is expressed and vocalized as a vibrating sound. Each seed mantra is a sound which vibrates at specific frequencies which help us release the blocked energies, relax the body and free the mind.
The word Mantra in Sanskrit means ‘libearte the mind’, ‘man’ meaning the mind, and ‘tra’ meaning ‘liberation’.
- Root Chakra Mantra: LAM ( लं laṃ )
- Sacral Chakra Mantra: VAM ( वं vaṃ )
- Solar Plexus Chakra: RAM ( रं raṃ )
- Heart Chakra Mantra: YAM (यं yaṃ )
- Throat Chakra Mantra: HAM ( हं haṃ )
- Third Eye Chakra Mantra: AUM (ॐ aum/om)
- Crown Chakra Mantra: AH ( अह् ah)