Open Your Root Chakra: List of Exercises
A few simple exercises, if performed only a few times per week, can go a long way in balancing your root energy center.
If you practice regularly and maintain discipline, the results will be reflected in a few weeks time.
Once you integrate some of these exercises into your daily routine, the energy you will get from this practice will help you maintain stability in your everyday tasks and confrontations with other people.
1. Pranayama Breathing Exercise
Relax, shake your extremities – start with the legs, then proceed with the arms.
Sit on the floor in an upright position and do the following breathing exercise:
- Bend the index and middle fingers of your right hand and take a deep breath, use your thumb to close your right nostril, inhale and exhale through your left nostril.
- Release your right nostril and use the ring and pinky fingers to close your left nostril.
- Inhale and exhale through your right nostril.
Repeat this breathing exercise for a few minutes. Breathing should be inaudible, smooth and deep.
2. ROOT Chakra Yoga Pose: Cat and Cow
Kneel down on all fours and repeat the “cat/cow” pose several times:
- Begin with the “cow” pose. Draw your belly towards the floor while lifting up your chest and chin.
- Transition into “cat” pose by arching your back towards the ceiling while exhaling and letting your head hang down.
- Transition back into “cow” pose while inhaling.
- Repeat the process.
Root Chakra Yoga Pose: The Cat
Root Chakra Yoga Pose: The Cow
3. FIRST Chakra Yoga Pose: The Crow
Assume the “Crow” pose:
- Stand astride, turn your toes slightly outwards and carefully lower yourself into a squatting position. Make sure to keep your spine straight.
- Rest your arms against your knees and try to keep your feet completely on the floor. Be careful not to stretch too much. In the beginning, you should strive to align your backside with your knees.
- Keep this position for seven inhales and exhales. At each inhale, draw your sphincter slightly upwards and relax a bit with every exhale.
Slowly return to a standing position.
Root Chakra Yoga Pose: The Crow
4. ROOT Chakra Mudra: Dhyana Mudra
- Sit on the floor, cross your shins, widen your knees and position each foot under an opposite knee. Place your hands on the knees, palms facing up.
- Form a circle with your thumbs and index fingers. Relax and breathe deeply through the nose.
- With each exhale, repeat the mantra “lam.”
- Finish with a couple of deep breaths through the nose.
- Repeat everything seven times while focusing on your root chakra.
Root Chakra Mudra: Dhyana Mudra
Easy yoga sitting pose: Sukhasana
5. CRYSTALS FOR OPENING THE FIRST CHAKRA
Root chakra stones and crystals:
- red jasper
- red coral
- red tiger eye
- smoky quartz
Use your instinct to pick a gemstone. Be aware of the energy of the crystal flowing to your hands and from there to your root chakra. Visualize and feel this energy flow.
You can keep your stones close to you at all times by wearing them around your neck as a pendant, around your wrist as a bracelet, or on your finger as a ring.
Keep your stones close when you meditate, do yoga poses, or repeat affirmations.
It helps the healing of the root chakra, if you place them on your body, on the pelvic area where the root chakra is located, or if you hold it in the palm of your hand near the location of the base chakra.
You may try several stones before discovering the stone or the combination of stones that works best for you. The stones and crystals you use do not need to be expensive to help with the healing of the root chakra. Nature provides, all you need do is to seek it out.
6. ROOT CHAKRA MEDITATION
Meditational harmonization of your root chakra:
- lie down on your back and close your eyes.
- Relax and feel the earth carry you.
- Position your palms on the lower abdomen, near the groin area.
- Your thumbs should be aligned with your pelvic bone while the rest of the fingers should face down, towards the toes.
- With each inhale imagine you are drawing in life’s energy.
- Breathe out deeply and focus on the energy flowing into your base chakra.
- Imagine a warm red current of light flowing from your hands to your lower abdomen.
- Visualize your whole lower abdomen glowing in red light.
- Keep visualizing this image until you inhale and exhale seven times.
- Finish by placing your arms on the floor, parallel with your body, and enjoy the lingering calming effects of the meditation.
MULADHARA Opening Symptoms
Symptoms which accompany the opening of your root chakra can often be felt on a physical level. As your chakra is healing, there is an intensified energy flow through it. This increased energy can manifest in the form of physical sensations.
Some of the more apparent physical symptoms are a feeling of warmth or pulsating energy in your pelvic area. This reaction can extend throughout your feet and upwards to the region of the lower abdomen.
Another symptom of the opening of the root chakra can be felt as intense energy flowing in your sexual organs.
Because there is an increased flow of energy through the base chakra, also the energy pressure on the second chakra is raised. The second chakra is associated with sexuality and sensual pleasure. Therefore a strong sexual desire can be felt.
If your goal is to progress with spiritual work and bring this energy to higher chakras, it is important to restrain yourself from physically releasing this built up energy. Instead, you can try to distribute this energy throughout all seven chakras with the help of breathing and visualization, or relax and let it settle down or fade off.
Accompanying a great release of energy or a blockage removal, it is not uncommon to feel the symptom of root chakra opening as a pain in or around your pelvic area.
Usually, such pain fades off in a few days, and after that, the progress with further energy work will be much easier, since the main blockage will be removed.
Even though the symptoms can sometimes be unpleasant, however rarely, there are significant benefits later. These can be felt on physical as well as psychological, emotional and mental level.