The Sacral Chakra, also known as the 'Second Chakra', is the center of sexual energy and of feeling the joy of life. In Sanskrit the word 'Svadhishthana' means sweetness, and in a metaphorical sense, this relates to the sensual and sexual pleasures of life.
In case you are experiencing some of the following problems, it indicates that your sacral chakra is out of balance:
- Mood swings,
- uncontrolled urges,
- the inability of creative expression,
- no joy in life,
- sexuality issues,
- reproductive organs health problems.
While modern medical and psychiatric methods can treat some of the symptoms, it is advised to address the problems in their roots.
The second chakra is associated with being aware of one’s own body, with vitality, and healing energy. It helps you to be more persuasive, and happier. A balanced sacral chakra ensures an improved flow of vital energy throughout the body and gives you the flexibility necessary for exploring and enjoying the world around you. Restoring balance to the sacral chakra is crucial for your journey towards happiness.
Putting some effort to work on your sacral chakra balancing might help you fix these issues in their origin. Simple daily exercises can make a huge difference.
The second chakra is represented by the symbol of water, which indicates movement, fluidity, flexibility, and signals the eternal flow of life. The christening ceremony with the ritual washing and the symbolic cleansing relates to the symbolism of the sacral chakra. Apart from water, the crescent moon is also an important symbol of Svadhishthana. It represents the female energy and establishes a link with the subconscious. The six petals of the Svadhishthana symbol have the orange glow of invigorating impulses that encourage creativity and the joy of life.
Most people suffer from under-active or over-active sacral chakra. The effects of imbalance can be easily observed as suppressed or uncontrolled sexuality urges.
In esoteric traditions, the managing of the sacral chakra is considered crucial. Tantra yoga teachers are familiar with certain exercises that make it possible to transform unhealthy urges into calming sexual energy, thus bringing together the opposites and igniting sexual attraction.
The sacral chakra is the center of female energy, and it enables reproduction, the survival of the species, birth, and creation of the new.
The main themes associated with the sacral chakra are sexuality, creativity, and sensuality.
Svadhishthana is a link between the male and female aspects, between the Sun and the Moon.
While the base chakra gives you a stable foundation for exploring, the sacral chakra provides you with the joy of life necessary for seeking out and enjoying new experiences.
Happiness is one of the driving forces in your life and the ability to revel in the pleasures of life stimulates playful learning and fosters creative expression.
The second chakra is the link between experiencing the world with our senses, reacting to it with our feelings, and evaluating it all with our mind.
The second chakra is located in the lumbar region. It controls the functioning of testicles, prostate, and ovaries. It affects the production and operation of body fluids such as lymph, blood, urine, and semen.
A stable and healthy center of sexuality protects reproductive organs from disease, and also prevents menstrual issues, impotence, kidney and bladder problems, hip injuries, and back pain. These are also the most common symptoms of sacral chakra imbalance.
A healthy functioning of gonads is essential for the production and healthy release of sexual cells, and for the activation of sexual hormones. Through its effect on the gonads, the sacral chakra influences moods and feelings as well.
Since the sacral chakra is the source of vital energy, its health is crucial for the uninterrupted functioning of all processes in the body, as well as for the general wellbeing.
A balanced Svadhishthana enables you to feel content in your life, to be a creative and emotionally stable individual with fully functioning vital organs that ensure your overall health.
Physical Manifestations of Unbalanced Sacral Chakra
- have frequent urinary tract infections,
- have problems with your reproductive organs,
- suffer from infertility,
- have hormonal issues,
- have painful or irregular periods,
- often endure pain or tension in the lower back area,
- suffer from impotence or have a diminished sexual drive,
you need to address your second chakra to balance it.
The second chakra is the seat of life energy. The positive elements of Svadhishthana include the joy of life, sensuality, and creativity. They denote an active, healthy need for personal growth and development.
- joy in life,
- and healthy sexuality,
are the signs of a healthy and balanced second chakra.
It is only when life’s energy flows freely through Svadhishthana that a person can develop their creativity to its full potential.
A fully functioning sacral chakra is demonstrated by a confident, vital individual that revels in the joys life has to offer and is accepting of the people around them.
A stable sacral chakra enables you to have a healthy attitude about your sexuality, one that allows passion and feelings to be realized instead of suppressed. A person with a healthy second chakra can accept and be comfortable with their own body, not minding all the little imperfections and shortcomings. They are fulfilled by their partner’s eroticism and exhibit a healthy amount of devotion to their spouse.
The problems connected with a dysfunctional sacral chakra manifest in either repressed or overly-expressive sexuality.
Conscious efforts to address a poorly functioning second chakra can address issues associated with a lack of control over one’s urges, or with repressed passions. Both of these matters are connected with negative emotions such as jealousy, sexual addiction, fear, and sexual frustration. The effects of lust on the psyche are not to be underestimated.
In India, it has for centuries been well known that many mental disorders stem from unhealthy sexuality. Indian scholars have long been aware of the importance of a balanced Svadhishthana, and in Europe Sigmund Freud, the founder of psychoanalysis had come to realize how important sexuality is to the entire psyche.
Psychological Manifestations of Sacral Chakra Imbalance
- have trouble controlling your urges,
- have issues with your sexuality,
- have body-image issues,
- fell like you cannot express yourself creatively,
- have trouble finding joy in life,
- lack vitality or passion,
- have mood swings or are often jealous,
it is a clear signal that your sacral chakra is imbalanced or not functioning properly.
If you are willing to address the balancing of your sacral chakra, you will find yourself becoming more active as you will be lighter on your feet, more in touch with your emotions, and flexible in your reactions.
You might find that your intuition will improve, you will be able to trust yourself more, and consequently, you will become better at making decisions.
A balanced Svadhishthana is related to improved romantic relationships since it helps you be more in touch with your feelings, more open to new experiences, and more willing to learn from them.
As you become less burdened with insecurities and have a better grasp of your feelings and desires, you gain the self-confidence that helps you be less jealous and sexually frustrated.
If you have pent-up stress, you might find that taking steps towards balancing your sacral chakra will alleviate those issues. Anxiety becomes acute when it accumulates, while we lack the tools to address it and flush it out.
A fully functioning sacral chakra allows for the life-energy to flow freely and flush stress out instead of allowing it to accumulate. One such outlet is creativity that allows you to find innovative solutions for the challenges of life.
By activating your second chakra, you might see changes in your flexibility, responsiveness, and sensibility as you become more in tune with the world around you.
You will be able to let go of the things that weigh you down and to assess situations more realistically. As a consequence, you will start enjoying life and its challenges.
HOW TO OPEN YOUR SACRAL CHAKRA?
Sacral Chakra Healing and Balancing Techniques:
- Establish a connection with the element of water: go swimming as much as you can, enjoy warm baths.
- Choose orange-colored clothing and accessories.
- Furnish your apartment with orange furniture, appliances, and accessories, choose orange floral arrangements.
- Make sure to drink enough fluids – drink at least two liters of fluid a day, preferably water or herbal tea.
- Take five drops of one of the following herbal extracts three times a day, before the main meals: oak, olive, dwarf pine, pine.
- “Ooo” sound stimulates the functioning of Svadhishthana – sit up straight, breath in through your nose and say “Ooo” as you exhale. Perform this exercise every day for at least five minutes
- Go dancing! It is best to dance with a partner so try choosing dances accordingly, for instance, tango or salsa. Belly dancing can also stimulate the functioning of the second chakra.
- Listen to oriental music or flowing classical music by Vivaldi or Bach.
- Take moonlit walks, meditate by the water and let the soothing sounds of flowing water or the lapping of waves help you relax
- Relax and repeat one of the following sacral chakra affirmations every day, especially before going to bed; slowly whisper at least ten times:
- I am establishing a connection with my creative energy.
- I am lovingly accepting my body and my sexuality.
- Life is a divine gift that I want, and I am allowed to enjoy.
Most common exercises for healing and balancing your sacral chakra include yoga poses, mudras, and meditations. These exercises have a fast balancing effect and will help you bring more energy to your second chakra. If you practice a few days per week, the positive results will be evident in a few weeks.
- Lie down on your back and bring your knees up. The feet should remain close and firmly on the floor.
- Stretch your arms horizontally away from your body, in line with the shoulders, palms facing up.
- Turn your head to the right while twisting your legs to the left until they touch the floor or until you reach your stretching limit.
- Change the position by turning your head left and bring your legs to your right. Shoulder blades should maintain contact with the floor at all times.
- Repeat this exercise in fluid and relaxed motions seven times in each direction.
Be mindful of your breathing which should be relaxed.
- Sit in an upright position and place the back of your right palm into your left palm, thumbs touching. Your hands should maintain this position as you put them on the lower abdomen, below the navel. The touching palms should be facing up.
- Close your eyes, take a deep breath through your nose and as you exhale whisper “vam” and repeat this mantra several times. Then inhale through your nose again and repeat the whole sequence seven times.
- Perform this exercise while focusing on your sacral chakra.
- Lie down on your back, close your eyes, and relax all the muscles in your body. Feel the rhythm of breathing, in and out.
- Place your hands on the lower abdomen, below the navel and feel your belly moving up and down as you breathe.
- Focus on drawing in prana every time you inhale and on releasing this universal energy to flow through your Svadhishthana upon exhale.
- Imagine an orange flow of energy running from your hands to your lower abdomen.
Location in the body: above the spleen, in the lumbar region, just above the sexual organs, and beneath the navel
Common names: Sacral Chakra, Second Chakra, the center of sexuality, the seat of life
Name meaning: Svadhishthana comes from Sanskrit and translates to 'sweetness.' Being associated with a range of earthly delights the name is rather appropriate.
Corresponding gland: gonad
Number of petals: six petals, each containing one of the following Sanskrit syllables बं ban, भं bhaṃ, मं maṃ, यं yaṃ, रं raṃ and लं laṃ.
Corresponding deities: Vishnu, Rakini
Animal Symbols: fish, all sea creatures, crocodile
Symbol: crescent moon
Frequency: 288 Hz
Corresponding sense: taste
Corresponding natural phenomena: moonlight, running water
Key themes: sexuality, fertility, creativity, self-awareness
Affected body parts: sexual glands, reproductive and abdominal organs (lower abdomen), lumbar region, pelvis, uterus, kidneys, circulatory system, bodily fluids
Positive spiritual aspects: awareness of one’s own body, vitality, creativity, healing energy, inventiveness, passion, joie de vivre, female energy