Third eye chakra is the spiritual center of the body that is strongly related to concentration and consciousness. The two most important energy channels (nadis) are Ida and Pingala, and their union symbolizes the new level to which duality can rise with the help of meditation. These two main energy channels which travel through the chakras and connect them, meet and conclude in the sixth chakra area.
If your third eye chakra is imbalanced, you might notice the following symptoms and issues:
- anxieties and phobias
- problems with concentration
- eyesight issues
- headaches and migraines
- problems with sinuses
On a physical level, the issues originating from third eye chakra imbalance are manifested in health problems with sinuses, ears, and head. Especially frequent migraines which are felt as tension or pulsation in the frontal lobe area or frequent sinus infections can be indications that your sixth chakra is not functioning properly.
Mental and psychological problems are a bit harder to recognize and often we are not prepared to admit ourselves that we actually have such problems. The Ajna chakra affects our intuition and imagination. The common imbalances can lead to concentration problems, fears, anxieties, and depression, which all originate from the sense of detachment of your true self.
If you have trouble to set your goals and find your true meaning in life, it will benefit if you find a way to strengthen your third eye chakra activity. There are many easy to follow techniques which are also quite enjoyable and fun to practice.
The brow chakra is depicted as a two-petalled rosette. The two petals represent the two main nadis, Ida and Pingala. Each leaf contains a letter - हं “ham,” representing Shiva (cosmic consciousness), and क्षं “ksham,” representing Shakti (life force), and together they signal the ultimate union of the two.
An important symbol of the sixth chakra is Shakti Hakini, an androgynous deity, in which the female and male principles are equally represented.
The brow chakra represents many dual principles, but it also signals the necessity of transcending these dualities.
An over-active brow chakra with weak grounding can lead a person to think he is literally 'losing his mind'. People with very active sixth sense are not so rare, unfortunately not all learn to control and nourish their abilities.
Ajna represents the connection to the spiritual world and as such enables both intuitive insight, and the command of reality which you can achieve as soon as you transcend the dual understanding of the world and can calm your thoughts.
Within this superior presence, you can develop telepathic abilities that can manifest as the premonitions of what is to happen or as intuitive perceptions of other people.
These spiritual phenomena are commonly connected to the sixth chakra activity.
Another strength of a well developed and balanced Brow chakra is self-cognizance. The Third Eye experiences can be described as moments of enlightenment or as moments when our eyes are truly opened. The sixth chakra connects our awareness of the world around us, and our “sixth sense” perceptions and acts as a command center of our psyche.
The brow chakra color is dark blue or indigo, which symbolizes wisdom, inner peace, intuition and spiritual awareness. It is very cerebral in its nature and somewhat detached from emotions. In the absence of emotional turmoil, it is easier to have a wider perspective, reach a higher understanding, and deeper knowledge.
Since the functioning of the “third eye” impacts some of the endocrine glands, tasked with regulating the hormonal balance, you must not overlook the brow chakra’s importance for the overall health.
Imbalanced sixth chakra reflects mainly in spiritual and psychological disorders, primarily as frustrations, anxieties, phobias, feelings of aimlessness and meaninglessness, and in having troubles concentrating.
But where there are mental issues, the physical problems follow suit. Headaches, migraines, or sensory organs’ impediments point to brow chakra issues.
A severely weakened Ajna can cause severe mental illnesses, which bear physical consequences as well. Holistic medicine believes that various forms of depression stem from “third eye” not functioning properly.
An overly active sixth chakra can also cause serious issues, such as hallucinations and schizophrenia.
Physical Manifestations of Imbalanced Third Eye Chakra
- suffer from frequent headaches or migraines,
- endure frequent sinus infections,
- have hormonal issues,
- have trouble with your eyesight,
- are hard of hearing or have other auditory issues,
- have a nervous system disorder,
- have been diagnosed with a mental disorder,
you should focus on your brow chakra and restore its balance.
Third eye chakra opens the doors of the mind to imagination, intuition and extra-sensory perception. The sixth chakra is also known as 'the third eye' and is associated with the sixth sense.
- Sharpness and agility of your mind,
- clearness of thoughts,
- strong intuition and confidence in yourself,
- having inner peace,
- emphatic and emotional perception of reality,
- telepathy, clairvoyance, vivid dreams, etc,
are the signs that your third eye chakra is balanced, open and energized.
The sixth chakra is connected to perception and understanding so an imbalance of the brow chakra might manifest as an inability to distinguish between what is truly important in life and what is just everyday debris.
Problems with priorities may arise that give way to the inability to choose a correct path in life or make sound decisions.
The same goes for the lack of perspective that keeps one bogged down, waddling through insignificant details while the big picture remains elusive. The lack of a big picture is similar to traveling through life without a roadmap.
Brow chakra problems reflect in the inability to detach oneself from one’s emotions to the degree necessary for accurately perceiving and evaluating situations in life. The result can be a skewed image of reality that leads to wrong responses.
A significant imbalance in the brow chakra can manifest as delusional disorders, which require medical treatment.
When you invest some effort into balancing your brow chakra, you can expect to see improvement in the health and perceptive power of your sensory organs. Their function is not limited solely to transmitting the outside stimuli but also includes the quality of perceived input. When the nerve impulses reach the brain, a healthy brow chakra assists in making sense of them by clearing the perception, sorting the significant from the insignificant, adjusting the perspective, and forming knowledge and understanding.
Psychological Manifestations of Third Eye Chakra Imbalance
- have difficulty assuming responsibility,
- find it hard to accept new ideas or opinions different from your own,
- lack imagination,
- have trouble concentrating or retaining information,
- cannot seem to find meaning in life,
- feel you cannot access your intuition,
- are haunted by fears, anxieties, or depressive moods,
you need to address the imbalance of your brow chakra to overcome these issues.
A well developed and well-balanced sixth chakra is your ticket into the world of imagination, mental images, and even visions. A strong brow chakra stimulates the formation of images and visualizations and enables the abstract aims to come alive. It also helps you envision your life, which is a necessary prerequisite for planning your future efficiently.
A balanced Ajna helps establish a connection between intuitive knowledge and your mentality. One of the aims of working on your brow chakra is to achieve the experience of mystical unity, beyond good and evil, and beyond any such dualism. An active and healthy sixth chakra will make you more confident in letting intuition guide your perception. This will allow you to avoid many an earthly mistake and glaze over insignificant fleeting occurrences of the here and now, while keeping in line with the pure, calm thought process accompanying the view of the big picture.
According to Patanjali yoga, Ajna benefits from yoga, which allows the peace of thinking to fill the chakra. In the silence of thought the energy of the sixth chakra can be applied to resolving the duality between the opposing principles – the sun and the moon, the male and the female, the right and the left hemisphere of the brain – and to reaching reconciliation. The balance between reason and intuition is established, and thus an awareness of inner peace is within your grasp.
You will be more at peace with yourself and the world around you as your healthy sixth chakra will help you deal with the increased sensory confusion of the modern world. You will be able to develop an ability to retreat into thought and process the whirlwind of information which surrounds you. You will find your mood and mental health improve significantly, once you restore balance to your brow chakra.
HOW TO OPEN YOUR THIRD EYE CHAKRA?
Third Eye Chakra Healing and Balancing Techniques
- Take up regular night walks, gaze at the starlit sky, and feel the peace, silence, and power of the nighttime.
- Exercise your imagination by reading books. Read fantasy novels and fairytales to stimulate your brow chakra.
- When you are picking out new clothing items or accessories, opt for indigo or dark blue colored apparel.
- Benefit from the mystical Eastern and Western wisdom and read the works of Buddha, Laozi, Epicurus, Seneca, and Schopenhauer.
- Keep a dream journal. As soon as you wake up, make a quick bullet point list of everything you manage to remember from your dream. Your imagination will come to life.
- Take one of the following herbal extracts before your three main meals: European crab apple, walnut, or grapevine. You are not supposed to mix these extract so stick with the one you choose.
- Essential oils of violet, lemongrass, and cajuput also have a stimulative effect on the sixth chakra. Put three to four drops of the chosen essential oil in the diffuser, add them to your body lotion or add eight drops to your bath.
- Relax and slowly repeat one of the following third eye chakra affirmations every day:
- I open myself to my inner light.
- I know that deep down I carry the answers to all questions.
- I am establishing a connection with my intuition and imagination.
Assume the “sleeping child” pose:
- Sit on your heels. Slowly lower your upper body down and let your forehead touch the floor. Your arms should be on the ground, besides your body, palms facing up.
- Take a couple of deep breaths while concentrating on your forehead.
- Slowly raise yourself up, almost one vertebra at a time, until you sit up straight. Tilt your head, gently rest it against the back of your neck, open your eyes and look up for a couple of seconds.
Repeat this exercise three times.
Sit on the floor in an upright position.
- The middle fingers of both hands should be straight, pointing up, tips touching.
- The tips of your thumbs should touch as well as the thumbs are directed towards your chest.
- The rest of the fingers should be clenched and touching at the second knuckle.
- Take a deep breath through your nose and as you exhale repeat the mantra “ksham.”
Repeat the whole sequence seven times as you keep concentrating on your brow chakra.
Lie down on your back and close your eyes.
- Gently place your left palm on your forehead and put your right hand over your left hand. The position of your arms should be natural and follow the natural line of your forearms. Your arms will end up being placed diagonally to each other. Your hands should be resting softly on the forehead.
- Relax, breathe deeply and imagine you are drawing in life energy with each breath and directing it to your forehead upon each exhale.
- Imagine the energy to be of an intense dark blue color, at first shining through your hands and then radiating through your entire body. Maintain this position for seven breaths.
- At the end of the exercise place your arms on the floor beside your body and enjoy the relaxing benefits of the meditation for a while longer.
This practice will make it significantly easier for you to reach other plains of consciousness but do not try to force the process. Until all the chakras are in harmonious balance, do not attempt to focus on the brow chakra.
Location in the body: on the forehead, between the eyebrows, at the bridge of the nose
Common names: brow chakra, sixth chakra, third eye chakra, Ajna
Name meaning: ajna comes from Sanskrit and translates to “knowledge”
Corresponding gland: pituitary gland
Color: dark blue, indigo blue
Mantra: OM, KSHAM
Number of petals: two petals, each containing one of the following Sanskrit letters हं ham, and क्षं ksham
Corresponding deities: Shiva, Shakti, Hakini
Animal Symbols: /
Symbol: upside-down triangle
Frequency: 426.7 Hz
Corresponding sense: sixth sense, extrasensory perception, second sight
Corresponding natural phenomena: night sky, stars
Key themes: intuition, wisdom, stability, immediate perception, fantasy
Affected body parts: cerebellum, eyes, face, ears, nose, nasal cavity, endocrine system, nervous system
Positive spiritual aspects: self-esteem, creative energy, intuition, enlightenment, healing energy, the power of imagination, openness to new ideas, control over one’s thoughts, mutual interconnectedness of souls
Negative spiritual aspects: self-absorbedness, self-aggrandizement, coveting, desire to dominate, irresponsibility
Physical signs pointing to an abnormal functioning of the Brow Chakra: headaches, hearing problems, eye problems, myopia, hearing impairment, nasal cavity inflammation, diseases of the nervous system
Mental issues pointing to an abnormal functioning of the Brow Chakra: problems with concentrating and learning, wandering thoughts, fears, lack of meaning concerns, constant obsessive search for meaning, superstition, mental confusion