Understanding Your Chakra Colors, Meanings & Functions
Discover the mystery of chakra colors and meanings. Learn how you can improve the functioning of your energy vortexes to gain power and control your life.
Regain control of your body, mind, and spirit by empowering and revitalizing your inner energy channels and vortexes.
You can find all the information about how to do it for free right here on this website. By browsing our pages you will learn everything about the 7 main chakras in your body, their colors, functions, and meanings.
Furthermore, to move from the theory to the practice, you can follow simple exercises which will lead you on the way to chakra balancing and healing. Learn which chakra colors, stones and gemstones, healing tools, yoga poses, and mudras can help you release your blockages, how to use them – and then choose the methods that fit you most.
Table of Contents
What is a Chakra?
A chakra is an energy center in our body. It is a kind of a vortex, exchanging energy with our surroundings.
A well-balanced chakra is in-tune with the external energies and can process the full vibrational spectrum of its range without interference (blockages).
When all the chakras are balanced and in tune, our perception of reality is much clearer because our view becomes guided by energy and not so much by the mind. We begin flowing through life and the life energy flows within us. That’s when we reconnect to nature, return to our natural learning path, work our karmic obligations, become flexible and open to changes and new life challenges. We develop our intuition, we walk with ease, and radiate with positive energy.
There are many benefits of working on your body energy development and the best way to experience the change by yourself is through the practice of chakra balancing and healing techniques.
The seven chakras in the human body are a part of a connected system of seven major and numerous minor energy transforming centers. There are 114 chakras in the human body, which are connected through an energy network called the ‘Nadis’. There are 72.000 Nadi channels that connect all the major and minor chakras and are forming the complete human energy body.
What does the word "Chakra" mean?
‘Chakra’ is a word for ‘wheel,’ ‘circle’ or ‘cycle’ and is primarily a Hindu concept. However, many other traditions have similar concepts but use different terminology. Originating from Sanskrit, the word ‘Chakra’ can be translated more directly as ‘a spinning energy wheel’.
A highly skilled person who can see auras can perceive chakras as vortexes of spinning energy. During chakra meditation, we can often feel chakras spinning as vortexes, or visualize them as such with our inner vision.
These centers which exist in the energetic dimension have a conical shape that extends and opens up to our front and back.
The main seven chakras, as is adopted from Hinduist belief, are aligned along the vertical axis from the base of the spine to the top of the head.
Chakras are linked to each other through energy channels called Ida, Pingala, and Sushumna. These are the main lines in a complex system of energy lines, called the Nadis.
What is the function of chakras?
The main function of chakras is they connect with the energies of our surroundings and transmit these energies to our bodies and vice versa.
This process has a direct impact on our physical, psychological, emotional, mental and spiritual perception. It affects what we perceive, how we feel, and ultimately what we think.
Another function of the seven chakras, as well as the smaller ones, is to store karma (energy accumulated in past life experiences and in our current life experience).
Activating and balancing the chakras can trigger an energy transformation within us, which allows karma to be ‘burnt up.’ This means that bonds to ego-driven actions are being loosened and we become more in tune with universal energies. Once this has occurred to some degree, we step on the way to becoming liberated from the karmic law and we step on the path of fully empowering ourselves as natural human beings.
Each of the seven chakras has its own vibration and serves a specific purpose.
Chakras are also considered to be openings to different internal and external dimensions. They are associated with body organs, emotional states, levels of consciousness, colors, planets, natural elements, frequencies, and mythical deities, and have different meanings and aspects.
Each chakra relates to a specific color of the visible spectrum – red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo and violet.
Clearing and opening these energy centers is referred to as “chakra balancing” or “chakra healing”. This process can lead to a profound transformation of our emotional, physical, and spiritual state.
With little effort invested in balancing your chakras, you can significantly improve your overall well-being.
What are The Seven Chakra Colors?
Chakra colors represent a visual manifestation of frequencies (vibrations) of the seven main chakras in the human body. These vibrations can be observed as colors in your auric field. To be able to see the colors you have to train your eyes and brain by practicing aura seeing exercises.
The colors of chakras also correlate to the rainbow color spectrum of light.
What are the meanings of chakras and their colors?
Each color is connected to a specific chakra and it has its own meanings and properties. Here are the seven chakras, their colors and meanings – explained in a clear way ordered from root to crown:
- RED – Root Chakra – Muladhara
Red color is connected with strength and physical energy, stability, and power. The main function of red chakra is to connect you to your roots, to ground you and offer a firm foundation to all other energy centers in your body.
- ORANGE – Sacral Chakra – Svadhisthana
Orange color is the color of sensuality, creativity, passion, and sexuality. It is warm and stimulative. In connection with the sacral chakra, it helps you develop your creativity and to allow yourself to enjoy sensual pleasures in life.
- YELLOW – Solar Plexus Chakra – Manipura
Yellow is the color of pure energy, clarity, joy, and optimism. It is related to the power of the sun and fire. In connection to the solar plexus chakra, it allows you to gain strong willpower and inner strength to pursue your life goals.
- GREEN – Heart Chakra – Anahata
Green is the color of nature, equilibrium, life, and growth. It flows from nature and the universe through your heart chakra and its energy has healing properties. The power of unconditional love helps you heal on an emotional and physical level.
- BLUE – Throat Chakra – Vishuddha
Blue is the color of the sky, sea, and air. It symbolizes truth, intelligence, and freedom. In relation to the throat chakra, it helps you to express your thoughts and emotions verbally in order to bring your inner desires to material manifestation.
- INDIGO – Third Eye Chakra – Ajna
Indigo color symbolizes inner depth, intuition, wisdom, and devotion. The energetical quality which indigo color brings through the third eye chakra will help you develop your intuition, perception, and gain trust in your insights.
- VIOLET, WHITE – Crown Chakra – Sahasrara
Violet color is the color of dreams and imagination and white is the color of purity, innocence, and illumination. These colors help you connect your inner-self to its source, and get support from higher spiritual realms.
Why chakras have colors?
Chakras have colors because they vibrate with different frequencies. Each chakra has its own density and pulse which can be perceived as color, sound, or even a feeling.
Chakra colors and their order correlate with seven colors that compose the sunlight. These colors are red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, and violet.
You can observe these seven colors when you project the light through the glass prism. A prism breaks the white light into different colors because each of these colors has a different wavelength.
The red color has the longest waves, which means it has the lowest vibration or frequency.
Violet color has the shortest waves, which means it has the highest vibration or frequency.
The same principle can be observed with chakras, where the root chakra (red) vibrates with the lowest frequency, and the crown chakra (violet) vibrates with the highest frequency.
Chakra colors and other related aspects are a part of chakra science which helps us understand chakras, their meanings, and properties.
Where does the idea of chakra colors come from?
While chakra science has a long historical tradition, the concept of chakra colors is quite new. It was first presented in the 1970s by an English writer and philosopher Christopher Hills.
He was a versatile scholar and practitioner of esoteric traditions that linked the theory of chakras with light frequencies and vibration.
His ideas were vastly accepted and nowadays the understanding of chakras is intimately linked with colors and frequencies, not only within western energy healing practices but also in eastern traditions.
The theory of chakra colors is based on the connection of chakras with the colors of the light spectrum (rainbow) and vibrational frequencies of specific colors.
Everything in nature has its universal logic, and in particular, on the level of energy and vibration, there are always co-relations. For example, these relations exist between frequencies, colors, sounds, and when speaking about perception also levels of consciousness.
Chakras and Colors of Your Aura
Most of you would have heard about aura, our astral or etheric body – the three-dimensional glow that surrounds our bodies.
Aura is often understood as an energy that is projected from our chakras. Aura reveals the physical, mental, and spiritual state of our being.
Can you see your aura?
Anyone can see the aura around living beings with a little practice. A trained person can also see chakra colors in the auric field.
In normal circumstances, an aura is invisible, seen only by exceptionally sensitive or clairvoyant people. However, anyone can learn how to see aura by following a few simple exercises.
When your chakras are balanced, they are channeling the energy which is sourced from the universal energy field and distribute it throughout your body. Your aura colors are bright, and the structure of your aura is consistent and without ‘energy holes.’
If your chakras are out of balance and not functioning properly, they remain partially or completely closed to energy and therefore cannot receive or distribute it. These problems manifest as dark blemishes on your aura. Problems in energy distribution result in physical, emotional, and mental disorders and can lead to serious health issues.
Most holistic healing practices share the notion that all diseases stem from a disturbed balance of force in our spiritual body. They show at first as mental conflicts or emotional issues and, if unaddressed, proceed to manifest as physical illnesses as well. If you react to negative experiences by blocking your emotions, the flow of energy that runs through your chakras will be disturbed, and imbalances will occur.
Locations of Seven Chakras in Order From Root to Crown
- The red chakra is placed at the base of the spine at the beginning of the chakra system.
- The orange chakra is located above the spleen, just a bit above the sexual organs.
- The yellow chakra is located in the stomach area.
- The green chakra sits in the middle of the chest.
- The blue chakra is located at the bottom of the throat and neck.
- The indigo chakra location is in the brow area, between the eyes.
- The violet chakra position is at the top of the head.
Anatomy of the human energy body
Chakras reside within the aura, where different human energy bodies (physical, spiritual, etheric, mental) are brought together and form these cone-shaped energy wheels or vortexes.
Each vortex is intimately linked with the other via the nervous system called Nadis. The main Nadi is called the Sushumna and goes straight up the spine from the base to top of the head. Around the Sushumna, there are two intertwining Nadi channels, called the Ida and Pingala. These flow through each chakra and bring energy to these centers.
Diagram of the energy channels and vortexes
1. The Muladhara Chakra.
1a. The Mooladhar.
2. The Svadhisthana Chakra.
3. The Manipura Chakra.
3a. The Void.
4. The Anahata Chakra.
5. The Vishuddhi Chakra.
6. The Ayna Chakra.
7. The Sahasrara Chakra.
B. Left channel (Ida Nadi).
C. Central channel (Sushumna Nadi).
D. Right channel (Pingala Nadi).
When energy flows freely through Ida and Pingala channels, it allows our Kundalini, many times referred to as ‘the sleeping serpent’ to awaken and stem from the root chakra to the crown through the Sushumna channel. Such occurrence is known as ‘Kundalini awakening’ and is one of the most profound spiritual experiences.
Introduction to Practical Ways of Chakra Balancing for Beginners
Regardless of your age or gender, spiritual orientation, or beliefs, you can learn how to manipulate your chakra energy and use it to your advantage.
However, to bring your energy centers in alignment some work is required. First of all, you need to know what you are doing, and secondly, you need to be aware that chakra balancing is a process that will take some discipline and time.
Nevertheless, the benefits of having your chakras fully open are extremely rewarding and can positively impact your life on all levels – physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual. It is definitely worth a try.
Beginners tutorials and exercises: Root to Crown
To begin improving your chakras now, you can follow simple exercises below – starting from the Root chakra and ending with the Crown:
Most common exercises for healing and balancing your sacral chakra include yoga poses, mudras, and meditations. These exercises have a fast balancing effect and will
To open your solar plexus chakra you should execute some easy exercises – such as solar plexus yoga poses, breathing exercises, meditation, and mudras. These techniques are not only very simple but they are also extremely effective.
The most common traditional practices which will help you open your heart chakra are yoga, meditation, working with crystals and gemstones, breathing exercises and mudras. Find the technique that you feel comfortable with and practice regularly. The effects on your
These exercises will help you open your throat chakra. This should be a spontaneous process, you should not force in any way. Anything that is
By executing some easy exercises such as third eye chakra yoga poses, breathing exercises, meditation, and mudras, you can get on the fast track towards
The best time to start working on your crown chakra is when you feel that you are physically fit and emotionally stable. As with other chakras, you will find methods such as yoga, mudras, working with gemstones and
Short chakra test to find your dominant colors
You can test your own chakra colors by answering a few simple questions which are listed below.
To fully benefit from the healing power of color you need to develop your personal color awareness.
The life of a healthy individual is filled with a balanced array of colors. You have to be in tune with your personal rainbow assortment to develop color consciousness and explore the healing potential of colors.
Find out which colors are lacking in your life and which are over-saturated. Take the test to learn about the colors of your life.
- What color clothes are you currently wearing?
- What is the predominant color in your wardrobe?
- Which color would you like to wear more of but for some reason don’t?
- How often do you feel like you have nothing to wear?
- What is your favorite color?
- What is your least favorite color?
- What is the dominant color in your apartment?
- Do you often feel the need to redecorate?
- Which color are you usually drawn to when you decorate your home?
- Which color is present most in your working environment?
- Which color is your bedroom?
- Which is the color you avoid most?
Keep a diary of colors to gain insight into the effects of color on your physical and mental well-being, emotional state, activities, and relationships. Take notes on the colors and color combinations you wear and encounter in your surroundings and pay attention to the way they make you feel.
Color Therapy and List of Health Issues Connected to Each Chakra
The use of colors for healing and therapeutic purposes is not new. It is something that was practiced in the past and continues to be relevant to this day. Our ancestors perceived light as a source of life and the driving force of life’s processes. In fact, light equaled the health of the body, mind, and spirit.
Healing with colors was rediscovered at the beginning of the 20th century and color therapy was approached from a scientific standpoint. Since then there have been many advances, such as for instance photo-dynamic therapy, which is used in cancer treatment.
The light we see is a composite of colors – the 7 chakra colors: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, and violet and white. These colors had an important role in ancient cultures, especially in healing practices.
Let us take a look at some of the most important colors and their effects on our physical health and psyche.
Power of the roots
Red is the color of your root chakra energy.
It helps you connect to the earth and ground yourself.
By increasing the flow of the red energy, you will feel more strong, secure, and stable, both physically and on the emotional and mental level.
- feel drained, tired, and weakened,
- feel numbness in your legs,
- suffer from sciatica,
- experience back pain,
- are anemic,
- are infertile,
- are impotent,
- feel lonely, unsupported, and insecure.
Bring more RED into your life by:
- visualizing red,
- meditating in red surrounded by red gemstones and crystals,
- wearing red clothes and accessories,
- decorating your surroundings with red items,
- eating red meat, red-colored vegetables, and spices such as chili, cayenne pepper, cumin, and cloves.
Balancing the sacral chakra
The orange color will stimulate your creativity and joy for life.
It increases your inner awareness and helps you recognize your deepest desires.
By surrounding yourself with the orange color you will find yourself becoming more in touch with yourself and you will start manifesting your creative expression.
- lack energy,
- feel sleepy and bored,
- want to increase your vitality,
- want to improve your sexual performance,
- feel resigned and beaten,
- feel defeated by everyday tasks,
- want to have a better appetite,
- suffer from rheumatism,
- lack sexual interest or can’t orgasm,
- have menstrual issues.
Introduce more ORANGE into your life by:
- visualizing orange,
- meditating in orange, surrounded by orange-colored gemstones and crystals,
- wearing orange clothes and accessories,
- surrounding yourself with orange-colored items,
- introducing orange colored accessories into your home,
- eating orange-colored fruit, vegetables, and spices, and herbs such as cinnamon, cloves, ginger, ginseng, and marigold.
Power of the solar plexus
The yellow color will bring you power, focus, and inner strength.
By establishing a stronger connection with the yellow color you will gain more energy in your everyday life.
You will become more vigorous and decisive in pursuing your life goals.
- feel numb and bored,
- are indecisive,
- have memory issues,
- have trouble concentrating,
- are preparing for important tests,
- have to be impartial,
- are anxious and frightened,
- feel powerless and subordinated,
- want to be more optimistic and self-confident,
- have a slow metabolism.
Try to bring more YELLOW into your life by:
- visualizing yellow,
- meditating in yellow, surrounded by yellow-colored gemstones and crystals,
- wearing yellow clothes and accessories,
- surrounding yourself with yellow items,
- picking out yellow decorations and accents for your home,
- eating yellow-colored fruit and vegetables, and spices and herbs such as turmeric, mustard, nutmeg, and saffron.
Healing of your heart
Green is the healing color of your heart chakra.
By focusing more on the green color you will become more relaxed.
The stress and tension will dissipate as you will gain more trust in yourself.
You will feel supported and loved by the universe. Things will start flowing in the right direction with ease, as you will follow your heart.
- feel the need to calm down,
- worry too much,
- hold grudges or feel vengeful,
- have issues in your relationships with others,
- cannot empathize enough or have problems relating to people around you,
- suffer from high blood pressure,
- have heart and blood circulation problems,
- have trouble breathing (asthma, bronchitis),
- suffer from rheumatism or arthritis,
- have allergies, skin problems, or a chronic disease.
Introduce more GREEN into your life by:
- visualizing green,
- meditating in green, surrounded by green gemstones and crystals,
- wearing green clothes and accessories,
- making your surroundings greener by choosing green accessories and accents for your home and office,
- exploring nature and go for walks, take up gardening, and introduce more plants into your home,
- introducing more copper into your life (e.g. copper kitchenware)
- eating green-colored fruit and vegetables, drinking matcha tea, and using spices and herbs such as basil, bay leaves, oregano, thyme, etc.
Expression of the throat chakra
Blue color opens up your throat chakra and supports your process of expressing yourself socially and verbally.
Surrounding yourself in blue, wearing blue clothes, gazing at the sky, and swimming in the sea, will strengthen your connection with your throat chakra.
- feel the need to focus and calm your nerves,
- crave some physical, mental, or emotional distance,
- have a temperature,
- suffer from insomnia,
- have cuts, wounds, or burns,
- have issues with your throat, nose, or ears,
- feel the need to be heard,
- find yourself in embarrassing situations,
- experience tension headaches or migraines.
You should bring more BLUE into your life by:
- visualizing blue,
- meditating in blue surrounded with blue colored gemstones and crystals,
- wearing blue clothes and accessories,
- decorating your apartment with blue items and accents,
- eating more fish, blue-colored fruit, asparagus, and spices and herbs such as flax seeds, chicory, and borage.
The third eye opener
Meditating on indigo color can take you deep inside yourself.
This color strengthens your connection to your intuition and inner awareness.
Once activated, you will be able to recognize the truth and see through the hidden meanings of things. The doors to spiritual dimensions will open up.
- feel the need to calm your nerves,
- are upset or shocked,
- have trouble sleeping,
- feel uneasy,
- have to be focused and contemplative,
- lack imagination,
- feel that you should work on your intuition,
- suffer from migraines.
Try to bring more indigo into your life by:
- visualizing indigo,
- meditating in indigo and surround yourself with indigo-colored gemstones and crystals,
- wearing indigo clothes and indigo accessories,
- introducing more indigo accessories and accents into your home and office space,
- eating more indigo-colored vegetables and fruit and using spices and herbs such as poppy seeds, juniper berries, and chokeberries.
7. Violet & White:
The crown chakra link
Violet and white colors will stimulate your crown chakra.
You will feel light and clear and supported by universal love.
While red connects you to the ground, violet and white energy connects you to the universe and helps you to recognize yourself as a spiritual being.
- need inspiration,
- lack imagination,
- crave clarity and purpose,
- want to improve your meditative technique,
- want to grow spiritually,
- do not believe in yourself enough,
- have lost faith,
- struggle with the meaning of life,
- feel depressed,
- suffer from paralysis or multiple sclerosis.
You must bring more VIOLET into your life by:
- visualizing violet,
- meditating in violet, surrounded by violet gemstones and crystals,
- wearing violet clothes and accessories,
- decorating your apartment and office with violet accessories and accents,
- going on mountain hikes,
- eating violet-colored fruit and vegetables and herbs such as lavender, violet.