The Solar Plexus Chakra, also known as ‘The Third Chakra’ or ‘Manipura’, is the repository of energy from which the power of life and vitality flow throughout the entire body. This chakra is related to inner personal power and the element of fire.
In Sanskrit, the word Manipura means “lustrous gem,” also “jewel city,” which, in a metaphorical sense relates to something very precious.
The third chakra represents willpower, feelings of power, and identity.
It has a remarkable influence when it comes to personality formation and to the development of a strong sense of self, capable of leaving a mark on the world and carving out space for yourself.
In a way, the solar plexus chakra represents a driving force, an engine propelling thoughts, feelings, and desires.
Solar plexus chakra is related to the ability to know yourself and be aware of your interests.
It is the source of energy, which reflects in a positive attitude towards the activities that enables you to develop your talents and abilities freely.
Manipura stimulates the desire to acquire as much life experience as possible and is thus instrumental in personal and emotional growth.
Even though the third chakra is subjected to the element of fire, it does not relate solely to the areas of energy and power but also to specific values such as mercy, compassion, and human warmth.
Last but not least, the solar plexus chakra is responsible for transforming the ingested food and oxygen into life energy. Out of all seven chakras, the Manipura is the one that will most directly benefit from a healthy diet.
Solar plexus chakra animal is a ram.
According to Hindu mythology, a ram is the riding animal of Agni, the god of fire.
Solar Plexus Chakra Symbol
The third chakra is represented by a downward-pointing triangle in a ten-petal rosette.
The symbol of Manipura is connected with the element of fire and on the metaphorical plane this relates to feelings of warmth and coziness, but it also inspires a sense of destruction and fear if it escapes control.
Solar Plexus Chakra Location
Solar plexus chakra is located just above the navel, in the stomach area, between the first lumbar vertebra and the eleventh thoracic vertebra.
The Effects of the Manipura Imbalance
Having some of the following problems indicate that your solar plexus chakra is out of balance:
- uncontrolled emotions
- pent up aggression
- sleeping problems or insomnia
- indigestion problems
Weak immune system and indigestion problems are clear signs of imbalance in the third chakra.
In the contemporary world, many people suffer from under-active or over-active solar plexus chakra.
Regular exercise, especially yoga and meditation, can help you bring your chakras into balance.
Focusing on activities that strengthen your third chakra can make a big difference in your personal growth and physical fitness.
Psychological and Spiritual Aspects of the Third Chakra
The solar plexus chakra is instrumental in the development of a self-reflective personality.
Excess energy accumulated in the third chakra may present in a range of negative personal characteristics such as preoccupation with power, jealousy, aggression, and destructiveness.
A deficiency in the cosmic life energy prana manifests as insecurity, lack of orientation, sentimentality, and feeling sorry for oneself.
Achieving spiritual and physical balance depends on a balanced intake, storage, and flow of prana.
An unbalanced third chakra can prevent you from being able to let go of negative emotions or get over negative experiences.
Your mind can get stuck on negative thoughts, those trigger negative emotions, and sooner or later you might find yourself living in your own worst nightmare. It might be something you’ve heard before, but life truly is what you make of it. The way you think about things paints your reality in a certain way, and if you are bogged down by negativity, this will reflect on your quality of life.
A solar plexus chakra in bad health can also make you crippled by fear.
Fear is the starting point for many other destructive feelings, behaviors and reactions, such as anger, vengefulness, and aggression on the one hand and fear of life, withdrawal, and inability to assert oneself or take control of one’s life on the other.
Manipura is not only a repository of energy but also of our experiences and how we react to them.
If the third chakra’s activity is impaired, you might find even the most ordinary tasks stressful. Acute stress taints your outlook on life. You start having trouble drawing the right lessons from past experience, and you might misidentify problems, which may lead to poor decision-making.
Properties of the Manipura Chakra
- Common names: solar plexus chakra, the third chakra, Manipura, the center of the solar plexus
- Name meaning: Manipura comes from Sanskrit and translates to “lustrous gem”
- Corresponding gland: pancreas
The pancreas gland, associated with the third chakra, excretes enzymes responsible for digestion. It also secrets hormones glucagon and insulin which regulate blood sugar levels.
- Color: yellow, yellowish red
- Mantra: RAM
- Number of petals: ten petals, each containing one of the following Sanskrit syllables ḍaṁ, ḍhaṁ, ṇaṁ, taṁ, thaṁ, daṁ, dhaṁ, naṁ, paṁ, and phaṁ.
- Corresponding deities: Lakini, Agni, Rudra
- Animal Symbol: ram
- Element: fire
- Symbol: triangle
- Sound: oh
- Frequency: 320 Hz
- Corresponding sense: sight
- Corresponding natural phenomena: sunlight, yellow wheat field, flaming fire
- Planet: Mars
Mars is the fourth planet from the Sun. It is named after the Roman god of war. The temperature on Mars in the equatorial area can reach up to 35 degrees Celsius and one day on Mars lasts 24 hours and 39 minutes.
- Key themes: feelings, willpower, the capacity to sense and to express yourself, self-control, personality, allocation of life energy around the body
- Affected body parts: pancreas, stomach, gallbladder, liver, spleen, small intestine, abdominal cavity, vegetative nervous system
- Positive spiritual aspects: self-awareness, emotional intelligence, compassion, empathy, sensitivity, perseverance, spontaneity
- Negative spiritual aspects: emotional inaccessibility, sentimentality, self-pity, jealousy, obsession with power, inconsiderateness, aggression
Solar plexus chakra healing and balancing tips
When trying to heal your Solar plexus chakra, life will bring about challenges where the development of personal power, determination, and persistence is needed. Establishing a healthy balance in this center allows you to become more determined and to gain endurance and stamina for physical as well as spiritual aspirations.
The solar plexus is an area in your body where all the energy channels of other major and minor chakras connect. It is the seat of willpower.
Solar Plexus Chakra Imbalance: The Impact on Your Physical Health
The main areas connected to the solar plexus chakra are the digestive system, nervous system, and immune system.
Manipura controls the functioning of the digestive system and the operation of the organic processes in your lower abdomen.
As such it impacts the stomach, liver, and spleen.
Ailments and issues such as stomach ulcers, heartburn, gastritis, and stomach aches point to an unbalanced solar plexus chakra.
If you lack energy, the reason behind it might be poor digestion and the malabsorption of nutrients vital to the optimal functioning of your organism.
It appears that the modern way of life is putting additional strain on the solar plexus chakra.
In our busy schedules, there is little time for food preparation, and there is barely time for food consumption. The quality of food is impacted by the degradation of the environment, and we ingest more toxins than ever before. Our immune systems are facing unprecedented challenges.
A poorly functioning solar plexus chakra can mean that the immune system cannot retrieve the correct information from past experience and may malfunction.
Auto-immune diseases, allergies, and poor reactions to infections are just some of the problems that signal that the third chakra is not functioning properly.
How to Heal Your Solar Plexus Chakra?
A healthy and well-balanced third chakra enables you to assert and nurture your personal power, the power of self, which is necessary for following and achieving your goals, as well as for charting your personal growth.
When healing and balancing the solar plexus the challenges which present to us are connected with fighting to regain control over our core power and energy.
9 Easy Techniques for Third Chakra Balancing:
- Avoid the intake of stimulants such as caffeine, alcohol, and drugs as they interfere with the functioning of the third chakra.
- Open yourself to the energy of the sun. Sunbathe (within reasonable parameters) and allow the warmth of the sun to fill your body.
- Introduce more yellow into your life. Wear yellow clothes, choose yellow wallpaper, paint a yellow accent wall, opt for yellow accessories.
- Meditate with the help of fire. Light a candle or stoke a fire in the fireplace.
- Stimulate the solar plexus chakra by sitting up straight, taking deep breaths, and chanting the sound Oh with each exhale. Repeat this exercise at least five times.
- Make sure to stay warm, especially in winter. Visit a sauna, take up a fast-paced sport.
- Listen to emotionally charged music such as classical pieces by Chopin, Schubert, or Brahms.
- Learn to express your emotions. Sign up for an acting class or a body-language seminar.
- Relax and repeat one of the following solar plexus chakra affirmations every day, especially before going to bed; slowly whisper at least ten times:
- In full consciousness, I know how to reach the right decisions,
- With the full power of my personality, I offer support to my fellow men,
- I trust my feelings and readily accept life’s bountiful offerings.
The Benefits of Balancing Your Manipura
In spite of the pronounced self-awareness and personal power the people with a balanced third chakra exhibit empathy and a distinct feel for fellow people.
They advance in life even though they are not aggressively fighting their way up but are, on the contrary, quite mindful and attentive to the people around them.
An active and balanced Manipura is the precondition for success in life, regardless of what that means for each individual.
People with a healthy third chakra achieve their goals with the power that stems from inside, from their inner center of power.
With a balanced solar plexus chakra, you too can go after what you want with ease and poise that requires no aggression.
You will find that your self-confidence will not waiver as you encounter obstacles in your path. You will be well on the way towards success and personal accomplishment.
By applying yourself to restoring the balance of your third chakra, your physical health stands to improve as well.
A healthy solar plexus chakra ensures efficient digestion and fast metabolism while making certain that your body efficiently absorbs all the precious nutrients from ingested foods.
If you are willing to work on your third chakra, you might find yourself sleeping better, which will benefit your nervous system and make it stronger.
By deciding to heal the solar plexus chakra, you are investing in your spiritual well-being as well.
Taking steps towards balancing your third chakra means taking control of your life and consciously steering it in your desired direction instead of letting other people or circumstances control you.
It takes a healthy and balanced solar plexus chakra to be able to discern between the images that were superimposed onto you by others, and between who you truly are.
Your true worth is in your hands and not defined by others.
5 Signs of a Healthy and Open Third Chakra
People with an active solar plexus chakra radiate self-esteem and have a healthy attitude towards work.
They are persistent and patient, which are the key features needed to overcome the daunting obstacles and challenges in life.
are the five main signs of a healthy and balanced third chakra.
How to open your solar plexus chakra?
To open your solar plexus chakra you should execute some easy exercises – such as solar plexus yoga poses, breathing exercises, meditation, and mudras.
These techniques are not only very simple but they are also extremely effective. The only thing needed is persistence and discipline in practicing.
1. Solar Plexus Chakra Yoga Pose: Purvottanasana
Assume the upward plank yoga pose:
- sit on the floor, outstretch and pull your legs together, your palms should be touching the floor in line with your backside, fingers should be facing backward.
- Upon inhaling lift your back and your backside up so that the entire upper body forms a straight line with your legs while being supported at this angle by your arms.
- Upon exhaling lower your back.
Repeat this exercise three times in a row.
‘Purvottanasana’, is a yoga position for balancing your solar plexus chakra.
2. Solar Plexus Chakra Mudra: Matangi Mudra
Third Chakra Mudra: Matangi Mudra
- Sit down and bring your palms together in line with your chest.
- Overlap your left-hand thumb over your right-hand thumb.
- Grab your right-hand thumb with your left-hand index finger.
- Clutch your left-hand index finger with your right index finger.
- Align your middle fingers, so they support each other and stretch them upwards.
- Cross the other fingers, so your palms are closed in the following order: left-hand ring finger, right-hand ring finger, left-hand pinky finger, right-hand pinky finger.
- Some gentle pressure can be applied.
- Close your eyes, inhale deeply through the nose and say the “ram” mantra as you exhale. Inhale again through the nose.
Repeat this sequence seven times while concentrating on your solar plexus chakra.
3. Crystals for Opening the Third Chakra
Solar plexus chakra stones and crystals:
- tiger eye
- yellow jasper
- yellow calcite
- yellow serpentine
Choose a stone instinctively, hold it in your hands often or place it on your abdomen, above the navel.
Wear it as a pendant or a ring, to keep it close at all times.
If you will choose your stone immediately after performing exercises for the solar plexus chakra you will get a clearer sense of which is the stone that is the most appropriate for you.
Keep your stone or a combination of stones close when you meditate, do yoga, or do your daily affirmations.
The healing of the solar plexus chakra should be more effective if you place the stones in the vicinity of the third chakra.
Take your time when choosing a stone or a combination of stones that are best for you. You needn’t spend a lot of money on expensive stones or crystals, you just need to learn how to listen to and trust yourself.
4. Solar Plexus Chakra Meditation
Meditational harmonization of the third chakra:
- lie down on your back, close your eyes, relax, and forget all your daily worries and burdens.
- Observe your body, thoughts, and feelings.
- Place your hands above the navel.
- Relax while you breathe.
- Imagine that you are receiving the universal life energy with each breath and you are directing this energy towards the solar plexus chakra with each exhale.
- Imagine this energy as a warm yellow sunbeam that is entering your body through the stomach and slowly radiates through the entire body.
- Keep visualizing this image throughout this exercise, while you inhale and exhale at least seven times.
- Focus on the impact of the yellow sunbeam on your body.
- In the end place your arms on the floor beside your body and enjoy the effects of the meditation some more.
Manipura Opening Symptoms
When your solar plexus chakra starts opening various physical and psychological symptoms might occur.
Immediate symptoms which can be felt when practicing solar plexus meditation, for example, are pulsating sensations in the area of your stomach. You can feel warmth or even burn as the energy flow through the solar plexus chakra is increased.
In the process of healing, you can feel cramps or nerve-related symptoms, such as whiplash in the mid-lower back area. Such and similar physical effects are simply signs of your solar plexus chakra opening and normally wear off in a few days. The more intense the effects, the bigger blockage is being removed.
On the spiritual level, life challenges might appear which will require you to be disciplined and determined to solve them.
Such situations are simply tests that help you start using your willpower and energy which is now replenished in your Manipura chakra.
Once your third chakra is fully open, you will find it much easier to overcome any life obstacles which require your concentration, discipline, and determination. Also in spiritual practices, you will find it easier to use your willpower to direct your thoughts and maintain the increased energy flow.
You will have more personal power in combination with control over yourself and thus over all areas of your life.