The Sacral Chakra, also known as ‘The Second Chakra’, is the center of sexual energy and of feeling the joy of life. In Sanskrit the word ‘Svadhishthana’ means sweetness, and in a metaphorical sense, this relates to the sensual and sexual pleasures of life.
Table of Contents
Sacral Chakra Meaning
The sacral chakra is the center of female energy. It enables reproduction, the survival of the species, birth, and the creation of the new.
The main themes associated with the sacral chakra are sexuality, creativity, and sensuality.
Svadhishthana is a link between the male and female aspects, between the Sun and the Moon.
While the base chakra gives you a stable foundation for exploring, the sacral chakra provides you with the joy of life necessary for seeking out and enjoying new experiences.
The second chakra is the link between experiencing the world with our senses, reacting to it with our feelings, and evaluating it all with our minds.
Happiness is one of the driving forces in your life and the ability to revel in the pleasures of life stimulates playful learning and fosters creative expression.
Fish, all sea creatures, and crocodiles are animal symbols of the second chakra.
Alongside the close connection with the element of water, these animals also represent fluidity in movement, which is one of the primary energy aspects of Svadhisthana.
Sacral Chakra Symbol
The second chakra is represented by the symbol of water, which indicates movement, fluidity, flexibility, and signals the eternal flow of life.
Apart from water, the crescent moon is also an important symbol of Svadhishthana. It represents the female energy and establishes a link with the subconscious.
The six petals of the Svadhishthana symbol have the orange glow of invigorating impulses that encourage creativity and the joy of life.
Sacral Chakra Location
The sacral chakra is located above the spleen, in the lumbar region, just above the sexual organs, and beneath the navel.
The Effects of the Shvadhisthana Imbalance
In case you are experiencing some of the following problems, it indicates that your sacral chakra is out of balance:
- Mood swings,
- uncontrolled urges,
- the inability of creative expression,
- no joy in life,
- sexuality issues,
- reproductive organs health problems.
While modern medical and psychiatric methods can treat some of the symptoms, it is advised to address the problems in their roots.
The second chakra is associated with being aware of one’s own body, vitality, and healing energy. It helps you to be more persuasive, and happier.
A balanced sacral chakra ensures an improved flow of vital energy throughout the body and gives you the flexibility necessary for exploring and enjoying the world around you.
Restoring balance to the sacral chakra is crucial for your journey towards inner happiness.
Putting some effort to work on your sacral chakra balancing might help you fix these issues in their origin. Simple daily exercises can make a huge difference.
Sacral Chakra Bracelet (Mala)
Sacral Chakra Bracelet or ‘Mala’ is used for balancing and activating your sacral chakra.
To learn more about how to use the Mala and mantras CLICK HERE.
If you don’t yet own your sacral chakra bracelet you can also buy this beautiful bracelet – just like the one in the picture …
Psychological and Spiritual Aspects of the Second Chakra
It is only when life’s energy flows freely through Svadhishthana that a person can develop their creativity to its full potential.
A fully functioning sacral chakra is demonstrated by a confident, vital individual that revels in the joys life has to offer and is accepting of the people around them.
A stable sacral chakra enables you to have a healthy attitude about your sexuality, one that allows passion and feelings to be realized instead of suppressed.
A person with a healthy second chakra can accept and be comfortable with their own body, not minding all the little imperfections and shortcomings. They are fulfilled by their partner’s eroticism and exhibit a healthy amount of devotion to their spouse.
The problems connected with a dysfunctional sacral chakra manifest in either repressed or overly-expressive sexuality.
Conscious efforts to address a poorly functioning second chakra can address issues associated with a lack of control over one’s urges, or with repressed passions. Both of these matters are connected with negative emotions such as jealousy, sexual addiction, fear, and sexual frustration.
The effects of lust on the psyche are not to be underestimated.
In India, it has for centuries been well known that many mental disorders stem from unhealthy sexuality. Indian scholars have long been aware of the importance of a balanced Svadhishthana, and in Europe Sigmund Freud, the founder of psychoanalysis had come to realize how important sexuality is to the entire psyche.
In Hinduism, the practice of Tantra includes harnessing the sexual energy and using it for spiritual practices.
Tantric sex is a western construct. Still, the practitioners of Tantra can control their orgasms, which can last for a very long time.
Properties of the Svadhidhthana Chakra
- Common names: Sacral Chakra, Second Chakra, the center of sexuality, the seat of life
- Name meaning: Svadhishthana comes from Sanskrit and translates to ‘sweetness.’ Being associated with a range of earthly delights the name is rather appropriate.
- Corresponding gland: gonad
- Color: orange
- Mantra: VAM
- Number of petals: six petals, each containing one of the following Sanskrit syllables बं ban, भं bhaṃ, मंmaṃ, यं yaṃ, रं raṃ , and लं laṃ.
- Corresponding deities: Vishnu, Rakini
Hindu God Vishnu is one of the three principal deities in Hindu cosmology. Vishnu is the protector god, who acts whenever the world is facing chaos or destructive forces.
- Animal Symbols: fish, all sea creatures, crocodile
- Element: water
- Symbol: crescent moon
- Sound: Ooo
- Frequency: 288 Hz
- Corresponding sense: taste
- Corresponding natural phenomena: moonlight, running water
- Planet: Venus
Venus is the second planet from the Sun. The name Venus comes from the Roman goddess of love. Planet Venus is also the brightest object in the sky seen from Earth (apart from the Sun and the Moon).
- Key themes: sexuality, fertility, creativity, self-awareness
- Affected body parts: sexual glands, reproductive and abdominal organs (lower abdomen), lumbar region, pelvis, uterus, kidneys, circulatory system, bodily fluids
- Positive spiritual aspects: awareness of one’s own body, vitality, creativity, healing energy, inventiveness, passion, joie de vivre, female energy
Sacral chakra healing and balancing tips
Healing and balancing your second chakra is all about getting to know and accepting your inner passions, drives, and desires. Freeing the flow of energy in this center helps us accept life as a joyful experience.
Getting rid of the shame or obsessions connected with sexual awareness of self and freeing your sexuality and sensuality is one of the major observable effects of balancing the Shvadhisthana chakra.
Sacral Chakra Imbalance: The Impact on Your Physical Health
The second chakra is located in the lumbar region. It controls the functioning of testicles, prostate, and ovaries. It affects the production and operation of body fluids such as lymph, blood, urine, and semen.
Unbalanced sacral chakra can be the cause of health problems in the lumbar region, especially sexual and reproductive organs.
A stable and healthy center of sexuality protects reproductive organs from disease, and also prevents menstrual issues, impotence, kidney and bladder problems, hip injuries, and back pain.
These are also the most common symptoms of a sacral chakra imbalance.
Healthy functioning of gonads is essential for the production and healthy release of sexual cells, and for the activation of sexual hormones. Through its effect on the gonads, the sacral chakra influences moods and feelings as well.
The sacral chakra is the source of vital energy, its health is crucial for the uninterrupted functioning of all processes in the body, as well as for the general well-being.
A balanced Svadhishthana enables you to feel content in your life, to be a creative and emotionally stable individual with fully functioning vital organs that ensure your overall health.
How to Heal Your Sacral Chakra?
Take the time for yourself. Do what you enjoy and do not judge yourself for doing so. Express your sexuality and eroticism and free yourself from living in the judgment of others.
Accept all your ‘imperfections’ and simply do not take them so seriously. Become the kid you were and just play.
The exercises listed below will help you achieve this sense of freedom and heal your sacral chakra.
10 Easy Techniques for Second Chakra Balancing:
- Establish a connection with the element of water – go swimming as much as you can, enjoy warm baths.
- Choose orange-colored clothing and accessories.
- Furnish your apartment with orange furniture, appliances, and accessories, choose orange floral arrangements.
- Make sure to drink enough fluids – drink at least two liters of fluid a day, preferably water or herbal tea.
- Take five drops of one of the following herbal extracts three times a day, before the main meals: oak, olive, dwarf pine, pine.
- “Ooo” sound stimulates the functioning of Svadhishthana – sit up straight, breath in through your nose, and say “Ooo” as you exhale. Perform this exercise every day for at least five minutes.
- Go dancing! It is best to dance with a partner so try choosing dances accordingly, for instance, tango or salsa. Belly dancing can also stimulate the functioning of the second chakra.
- Listen to oriental music or flowing classical music by Vivaldi or Bach.
- Take moonlit walks, meditate by the water and let the soothing sounds of flowing water or the lapping of waves help you relax.
- Relax and repeat one of the following sacral chakra affirmations every day, especially before going to bed; slowly whisper at least ten times:
- I am establishing a connection with my creative energy.
- I am lovingly accepting my body and my sexuality.
- Life is a divine gift that I want, and I am allowed to enjoy.
The Benefits of Balancing Your Svadhishthana
If you are willing to address the balancing of your sacral chakra, you will find yourself becoming more active as you will be lighter on your feet, more in touch with your emotions, and flexible in your reactions.
You need to invest time and effort into nourishing your sacral chakra if you find your relationships strained and in need of improvement.
You might find that your intuition will improve, you will be able to trust yourself more, and consequently, you will become better at making decisions.
A balanced Svadhishthana is related to improved romantic relationships since it helps you be more in touch with your feelings, more open to new experiences, and more willing to learn from them.
As you become less burdened with insecurities and have a better grasp of your feelings and desires, you gain the self-confidence that helps you be less jealous and sexually frustrated.
If you have pent-up stress, you might find that taking steps towards balancing your sacral chakra will alleviate those issues.
Anxiety becomes acute when it accumulates, while we lack the tools to address it and flush it out.
A fully functioning sacral chakra allows for the life energy to flow freely and flush stress out instead of allowing it to accumulate.
One such outlet is creativity that allows you to find innovative solutions for the challenges of life.
By activating your second chakra, you might see changes in your flexibility, responsiveness, and sensibility as you become more in tune with the world around you.
You will be able to let go of the things that weigh you down and assess situations more realistically. As a consequence, you will start enjoying life and its challenges.
5 Signs of a Healthy and Open Second Chakra
The second chakra is the seat of life energy. The positive elements of Svadhishthana include the joy of life, sensuality, and creativity.
They denote an active, healthy need for personal growth and development.
- joy in life,
- and healthy sexuality,
are the five main signs of a healthy and balanced second chakra.
How to open your sacral chakra?
Most common exercises for healing and balancing your sacral chakra include yoga poses, mudras, and meditations.
These exercises have a fast balancing effect and will help you bring more energy to your second chakra. If you practice only a few days per week, the positive results will be seen in a few weeks.
1. Sacral Chakra Yoga Pose: Jathara Parivartanasana
Sacral Chakra Yoga Pose: Jathara Parivartanasana
- Lie down on your back and bring your knees up. The feet should remain close and firmly on the floor.
- Stretch your arms horizontally away from your body, in line with the shoulders, palms facing up.
- Turn your head to the right while twisting your legs to the left until they touch the floor or until you reach your stretching limit.
- Change the position by turning your head left and bringing your legs to your right. Shoulder blades should maintain contact with the floor at all times.
- Repeat this exercise in fluid and relaxed motions seven times in each direction.
Be mindful of your breathing which should be relaxed.
2. Sacral Chakra Mudra: Dhyani Mudra
Root Chakra Mudra: Dhyani Mudra
- Sit in an upright position and place the back of your right palm into your left palm, thumbs touching. Your hands should maintain this position as you put them on the lower abdomen, below the navel. The touching palms should be facing up.
- Close your eyes, take a deep breath through your nose and as you exhale whisper “vam” and repeat this mantra several times. Then inhale through your nose again and repeat the whole sequence seven times.
- Perform this exercise while focusing on your sacral chakra.
3. Crystals for Opening the Second Chakra
Sacral chakra stones and crystals:
- tiger eye
- golden topaz
- orange tourmaline
- yellow jade
- fire opal
- orange aventurine
Choose a stone instinctively, hold it in your hands or place it on your lower abdomen, below the navel often. Allow the energy of the stone to flow through your body to your sacral chakra.
Wear it on your body to maximize the flow of energy. The best way to always keep your stones close is to wear them on a chain as a pendant, keep them on your wrist as a bracelet, or incorporate your chosen stone into a ring.
Make use of your stones when you meditate, do yoga or your daily affirmations.
The healing of the sacral chakra can be more effective if you place the stones on the lumbar area or on the lower abdomen below the navel where the second chakra is located. You can also hold the chosen stone in the palm of your hand in the vicinity of Svadhishthana.
It might take some time to discover which stone or a combination of stones is best for you, so do not get discouraged. You needn’t resort to expensive stones or crystals in your efforts to balance your sacral chakra. You just need to focus on finding the ones that work best for you.
4. Sacral Chakra Meditation
Meditational harmonization of your sacral chakra:
- lie down on your back, close your eyes, and relax all the muscles in your body.
- Feel the rhythm of breathing, in and out.
- Place your hands on the lower abdomen, below the navel and feel your abdomen moving up and down as you breathe.
- Focus on drawing in prana every time you inhale and on releasing this universal energy to flow through your Svadhishthana upon exhale.
- Imagine an orange flow of energy running from your hands to your lower abdomen.
Sacral Chakra Opening Symptoms
The Sacral chakra is connected with sexuality and sensuality therefore the most evident symptoms are related to the experience of self through the feelings of pleasure.
The physical symptoms which can be felt when your Svadhidhthana is opening are often the feeling of warmth around your lower belly area and sexual organs. As a consequence, sexual arousement can be felt.
On a psychological level, you might feel the increase of your libido and experience the drive to express your sexuality more.
It is best to do what you have to do, however in order to lift up the energy, it is best to eventually move from sexual desires and to harness this energy for expressing yourself and gain more control and focus in your creativity.
Sexual urges should not be suppressed but should be overcome and transcended in order to proceed with balancing your higher chakras. This doesn’t mean that you should restrain yourself from having sex, it only means that you should have your sexual energy under control.
When working with higher chakras, having conscious control over your energy is quite crucial. Balancing your sacral chakra is therefore a kind of test which you have to pass in order to progress higher.