The Throat Chakra represents the transition to the two higher chakras located in the head.
It is positioned in the neck, in line with the throat, and tasked with keeping the balance between emotions and intellect. It has a significant impact on communication skills.
Vishuddha is the energy center of communication, expression, and rationality.
Vishuddha, as the center of speech and communication, enables the development of word recognition and comprehension, and the awareness of the dimensions words can assume and reach.
People with an exceptionally developed throat chakra communicate with ease, not only verbally, but they are also able to present themselves to others with their entire person.
The fifth chakra, which is the connection between the heart and the crown chakra, acts as the link between emotions and reason. Its task is to regulate these two areas. It also calms excessive expressions of intellect and is hence essential for transcending human duality.
If we use specific exercises to influence the throat chakra, we can strengthen our acceptance of self, inwardly and outwardly. People with a balanced fifth chakra have no problems with bearing their inner world to others.
The throat chakra animal is a White Elephant.
Throat Chakra Symbol
The sixteen-petaled throat chakra rosette is the center of sound and words in a human body. Sounds play a major role in the development of your personality.
Pronunciation/chanting of mantras, primal meditational sounds, is still one of the most important yoga techniques. The vibrations that develop in the process awaken and stimulate awareness.
The element of the throat chakra is ether, which symbolizes vastness, space, clearing, and purification. The animal symbol of Vishuddha is a white elephant, the riding animal of the most important Vedic deity Indra, the King of the Gods.
The symbol of the throat chakra is a cross, which indicates a perfect void and silence that need to be transcended to reach enlightenment.
Throat Chakra Location
The throat chakra is located in the area of cervical vertebrae, neck, and throat.
The Effects of the Vishuddha Imbalance
The most common signs of an imbalanced throat chakra are the following:
- inability to express yourself,
- communication problems,
- throat and neck issues,
- weight problems,
- dental problems.
Problems connected with the fifth chakra imbalance are mostly connected to the ability of verbal communication and extend even deeper to levels of different blockages of self-expression.
On a psychological level, the blockages might manifest as problems with the realization of your ideas, especially if you need to communicate them with others. This can lead to poor social skills and the inability to fit and blend in into various social groups.
On a physical level, health problems with the throat and neck area indicate the poor functioning of the Vishuddha. This includes various inflammations, sore throat, whiplashes, and neck pain as well as dental health issues.
All these issues can be addressed and greatly improved by utilizing a few simple techniques for throat chakra balancing. There are many methods available and most of them are very simple, even for beginners.
It can take only 10 minutes of practice per day in order to start opening your throat chakra and improving your communication skills and power of expression.
Psychological and Spiritual Aspects of the Fifth Chakra
A person’s voice can relay information, which is the foundation of verbal, interpersonal communication. Orators, poets, writers, people in the media, even actors and politicians use this immense power of words entirely consciously. But the first condition for them being able to do so is an exceptionally well-developed throat chakra.
A well-developed and balanced Vishuddha enables and facilitates communication and the command of the language.
Consequently, the fifth chakra relates to the ability to learn, concentrate, and be open to the opinions of others. Only when you can understand and comprehend the words are you able to learn something or take it to heart. That is why it is of particular importance to talk to children and explain your reasoning. Not only will they learn faster but they will also become good at communication and have a better chance at a well-balanced and healthy throat chakra.
The throat chakra responds to the sound of the voice, which reveals the entire range of feelings and states of consciousness.
If the fifth chakra is too strong, this can manifest as the desire and need for supremacy, manipulation, and dominance. If the throat chakra is too weak, this results in shyness, awkwardness, and fear of conflict.
People with a poorly functioning throat chakra lack the courage to express their opinions, and by that, they put the expression of their identity at risk. The meaning of the fifth chakra is closely tied to its role to stand for the truth.
Properties of the Vishuddha Chakra
- Common names: throat chakra, fifth chakra, throat center, Vishuddha
- Name meaning: Vishuddha comes from Sanskrit and translates to “purification,” or “pure”
- Corresponding gland: thyroid and parathyroid
The thymus gland is responsible for the production of thyroid hormones, which mainly influence the metabolic rate and synthesis of proteins.
- Color: light blue
- Mantra: HAM
- Number of petals: sixteen petals, each containing one of the following Sanskrit vowels अ a, आ ā, इ I, ई ī, उ u, ऊ ū, ऋ ṛ, ॠ ṝ, ऌ ḷ, ॡ ḹ, ए e, ऐ ai, ओ o, औ au, अः ḥ, and अं ṃ
- Corresponding deities: Shakini, Sadashiva
- Animal Symbols: white elephant
- Element: Ether
- Symbol: cross
- Sound: EYE
- Frequency: 384 Hz
- Corresponding sense: hearing
- Corresponding natural phenomena: cloudless azure sky, seawater, twilight
- Planet: Saturn
Saturn is the sixth planet from the Sun. It has a radius of nine Earths. Saturn’s ring consists of nine continuous rings and three arcs, which mainly consist of ice crystals, rock, and dust.
- Key themes: communication, awareness of words, inspiration, mental energy, independence, truth
- Affected body parts: throat, neck, jaw, esophagus, trachea, breathing, voice, cervical vertebrae, back of the neck, shoulders, ears
- Positive spiritual aspects: pronounced ability to communicate, harmonious self-awareness, diverse interests, ability to concentrate on studying, rational thought, capacity to differentiate, confident speech and tone, musicality, well-developed individuality
- Negative spiritual aspects: impetuosity, the need to escape reality, excessive emphasis on intellect, hunger for dominance, and adulation.
- Physical signs pointing to abnormal functioning of the throat chakra: neck pain, tonsillitis, dental problems, oral cavity issues, cervical vertebrae injuries, back of the neck and shoulder pains, thyroid issues, speech and hearing impediments
- Mental issues pointing to abnormal functioning of the throat chakra: shyness, feeling embarrassed, feeling confused, weak or unsatisfactory verbal skills, fear of expressing one’s opinion, speech impediments, stuttering
Throat Chakra Healing and Balancing
If you are working on your throat chakra in order to balance it, you will have to work on your expression, communication skills, and reasoning.
You might be challenged by the situations in which you will be forced to take the stand and learn to clearly express your opinion. On the other hand, you will have to learn how to accept the views of others and find a healthy balance on both sides.
Throat Chakra Imbalance: The Impact on Your Physical Health
The throat chakra location is in the area of the neck and throat. As such it is connected to the adjacent organs and body parts, such as upper airways, tonsils, jaws, neck, etc. The interference with the energy flow through the throat chakra is often audible – the voice is hoarse, stiff, or weak, there might be stammering.
Frequent inflammations of the larynx, esophagus, and tonsils are also indicative of throat chakra imbalance. The same goes for tense neck and shoulders, trouble swallowing, and the so-called “lump in the throat” feeling.
Various other speech impediments are tied to an unhealthy throat chakra as well.
Apart from neck area problems, an imbalanced fifth chakra can also reflect thyroid problems (hypothyroidism or hyperthyroidism), a goiter, ear pain, and teeth and gum issues.
The thyroid and parathyroid glands are endocrine glands that have a substantial impact on metabolism. An inactive throat chakra is thus related to weight issues (too low or too high) and energy issues (hyperactivity or lethargy).
How to Heal Your Throat Chakra?
Meditation is the first step towards healing your fifth chakra. You can use herbal extracts of Mimulus, agrimony, or blue plumbago, and etheric oils of eucalyptus, mint, camphor, or ginger to help you relax.
By establishing the balance of your throat chakra, you will be able to advance your personal and spiritual growth even further.
7 Easy Techniques for Fifth Chakra Balancing:
- Often look up and gaze at the blue sky, spend your days off and your vacation at the seaside or near a lake.
- Introduce more blue to your life by wearing blue clothes and accessories, and redesigning your apartment with blue accents in the form of furniture, spreads, curtains, cushions, appliances, walls, etc.
- Apply a conscious effort to improve your pronunciation and hone your communication skills. Enroll in a foreign language class or a debate club. You might want to take up a course in rhetoric as well. Your throat chakra could also benefit from singing lessons or speech lessons.
- Start writing a journal, use it to describe everything that has happened to you, what has made you happy, what has been a burden. That is how you will practice expressing yourself in writing, and it will also be beneficial for improving your skill of transforming thoughts into speech.
- Listen to vocal compositions with instrumental accompaniment, such as cantatas, chants, and choral works. It also helps to listen to mantras.
- Learn and practice forming your opinion and expressing it to those close to you. Do so kindly and be truthful.
- Relax and slowly repeat the following throat chakra affirmations every day, especially before going to bed:
- I look forward to my creativity and to the ability to express my thoughts.
- I open myself to the power of words.
- I speak the truth. My words come from the heart.
The Benefits of Balancing Your Vishuddha Chakra
A balanced throat chakra will grant you a whole new experience of words and music. It will allow you to become one with these sounds. It will have the same effect on thinking, since thoughts are no more than “thought words” that, much like their verbalized counterparts, have an enormous effect on your mood and the way you perceive life.
A harmonious voice, unencumbered breathing, and relaxed muscle tissue in the neck, back of the neck, and shoulders, are just some of the health benefits tied to a well-balanced and active fifth chakra.
Truly liberated personalities, people with a well-developed and healthy throat chakra, are truthful, have no problems striving towards the truth, and can express it with conviction.
As such they are more persuasive and make for better leaders. At the same time, they have internalized the notion that sometimes the truth can be relative, and quite a multidimensional phenomenon that cannot be described in simplistic black and white terms. Such a view of the truth helps them understand others and the world better, and respond to situations with more wisdom.
If you are troubled in your life and what you desire most is inner peace you need to work on balancing your throat chakra.
One way to release frustration and pent-up negative energy is through communication. Don’t forget that communication is a two-way street. You need to learn how to listen attentively, too.
An active fifth chakra will allow you to communicate better thus improving your relationships and the way you feel about yourself. You will find that talking about what ails you is helpful regarding the search for solutions to your problems or simply in unburdening your mental load.
Another way of restoring the balance to your throat chakra is by expressing yourself creatively and releasing the build-up of energy in that manner.
Choose whatever artistic expression is close to you, be it singing in the shower, doodling, painting, or any other creative outlet.
Signs of a Healthy and Open Fifth Chakra
People with balanced throat chakra have exceptional communication skills.
They are capable of translating their most complex thoughts into words and expressing their ideas in a way that is motivational to the people around them. They are also excellent listeners who can integrate the ideas and opinions of others into a constructive teamwork process.
- Communication skills,
- ability to express oneself,
- leadership skills,
- creative expression,
- having diverse interests,
are the signs of a healthy and balanced fifth chakra.
How to Open Your Throat Chakra?
These exercises will help you open your throat chakra. This should be a spontaneous process, you should not force it in any way.
Anything that is to happen naturally cannot be achieved by force. The best way is simply to start executing some of the simple techniques in your everyday life and maintain discipline.
1. Throat Chakra Yoga Pose: 'THE PRAYER POSE'
Assume the “prayer” pose.
- Sit up straight in the Siddhasana position (bring your left foot to the perineum area, then take the right foot and bring it over the left foot, the knees should touch the floor). Close your eyes.
- Bring your palms together in front of your chest, fingers straightened and touching, as if in prayer.
- Take a deep breath. With your next breath lower your head and let your chin touch the collarbone.
- Hold your breath for a couple of seconds and gently push your chin into the indentation in your neck.
- Release pressure, lift your head and take another deep breath.
Repeat this exercise three times.
2. Throat Chakra Mudra
Third Chakra Mudra: Matangi Mudra
- Sit up straight on the floor, bring your hands together, fingers interlocking (starting with your right index finger).
- The thumbs should be touching, pressing against each other, and pointing up.
- Hold your hands in line with the stomach and breathe deeply.
- Take a deep breath through the nose, and upon exhale say the “ham” mantra.
Repeat this exercise seven times while focusing on your fifth chakra.
3. Crystals for Opening the Fifth Chakra
Throat chakra stones and crystals:
- blue topaz
- blue tourmaline
- lapis lazuli
Choose a stone instinctively, pick it up and hold it often. Allow the energy to flow from the stone into your hands and from there to your throat chakra. Visualize this flow of energy as a blue stream.
Keep your stones close at all times by wearing them around your neck, around your wrist, or as a ring. Keep them in your pocket or in your purse in a velvet or leather pouch.
Keep your stones close when you meditate, do yoga poses, or repeat affirmations.
When you are doing your throat chakra exercises, place them on your neck, or in a formation around your neck.
You may find that a single stone satisfies your needs, or that a combination of stones is more suited to your needs.
Choose your stones and crystals carefully. You may need to try several combinations before you find the one that works best for you.
4. Throat Chakra Meditation
Meditational harmonization of your throat chakra:
- lie down on your back and close your eyes.
- Place your palms on the neck, your wrists should be touching the collarbone and resting there, and the fingers should be pointing up at an angle.
- Relax, take deep breaths, and feel how you are drawing in prana.
- Upon exhale send the soaked up life energy through your palms and your fingers and into your neck.
- Imagine that you are receiving the cosmic life energy in the shape of a healing ray of blue light that at first radiates through your neck and then through your entire body.
- Hold this position for seven breaths.
- In the end place your arms beside your body and enjoy the beneficial effects of the meditation for a while longer.
Throat Chakra Opening Symptoms
During meditation or when you focus on your throat chakra, it is possible that you might feel different sensations in your lower throat area. The most common are the feelings of pulsating and moving energy and/or slight pressure on and around your throat
As the energy flow through the throat chakra is intensified, different blockages are being removed.
Such practice can even be accompanied by physical symptoms, such as sore throat, coughing, and breathing problems. In addition, issues with vocal expression might arise.
On a psychological and spiritual level, you will be facing challenges connected with self-expression. You will focus on re-positioning yourself in relation to your friends, co-workers, and other groups that require communication and teamwork.
You will know that your throat chakra is open once you find a healthy balance between expressing yourself and accepting others as well. As a consequence, your charisma will rise and people around you will be more prepared to accept your opinion and might even look at you as a leader.
Being fully open, truthful, and accepting in communication with others is a clear sign that your throat chakra is open and balanced.