Open Your Heart Chakra: List of Exercises
The most common traditional practices which will help you open your heart chakra are yoga, meditation, working with crystals and gemstones, breathing exercises and mudras.
Find the technique that you feel comfortable with and practice regularly. The effects on your fourth chakra will be noticeable in less than two weeks.
1. Heart Chakra Yoga Pose: Shalabhasana
Lie flat on your belly, your chin touching the floor.
- Clasp your hands behind your lower back, in line with the backside.
- As you inhale, slowly lift your head, sternum, and shoulders up and towards the back. Your thorax will be arched.
- As you get comfortable performing this pose, you can also try to lift your feet off the ground.
- Take two deep breaths while keeping this pose, then exhale.
Repeat this exercise three times.
‘Shalabhasana’ is a yoga pose for bringing your heart chakra.
2. Heart Chakra Mudras: Akash Mudra and Prithivi Mudra
The finger positions for the breathing exercise intended to strengthen the fourth chakra are different for women and men.
- Women should bring together the thumb and ring finger of the left hand and the thumb and middle finger of the right hand while the men should do the opposite.
- Place the hands, palms up, on your knees.
- Take a deep breath through your nose and repeat the yam mantra several times as you exhale.
Repeat this sequence seven times while you mentally focus on the heart chakra.
Fourth Chakra Mudra: Prithivi Mudra
Fourth Chakra Mudra: Akash Mudra
3. Crystals for Opening the Fourth Chakra
4. Heart Chakra Meditation
Heart Chakra Opening Symptoms
When your heart chakra is open, your perception of reality shifts from ‘thinking about things’ to ‘feeling things’.
On a physical level the symptoms of your heart chakra opening can be felt as pulsating or warmth in your chest area.
When bigger blockages are removed you can even feel pain or pressure. Back pain in the chest area is also not uncommon.
On a psychological level you might experience emotional instability with moments of excitement and being happy for no reason, followed by moments of bad mood or even depression.
When you experience ‘negative’ symptoms. you have to understand that this is only a part of the process of your chakra opening.
However, with progress, these symptoms should fade out relatively fast and then the other, more pleasant effects can be experienced.
If your other chakras are somewhat balanced and you have cleared the biggest energy blockages from your energy body, then you can sense the underlying feeling of love and peace which accompanies the perception of the heart.
This feeling will grow into you and accompany you in your everyday life, giving you more stability, trust in yourself, feeling of being supported and sharing your unconditional love with others.
We are very reserved when it comes to openly sharing our emotional energy, simply because we have a fear of getting hurt by actions of others. However, once we realize through practice, that the energy of love and support is all around us and not just in ourselves. When we learn to use and transcend this energy, we will realize that nothing can hurt us.
We will live in the ‘Anahata’ (the unstruck) chakra.